Preparing your trip to Berlin: advices & hints - things to do and to obey
1. Tourists, who prefer to save on everything during their rest, should purchase a handy pass «Berlin - Potsdam Welcome Card». The pass provides discounted rates in public transport, both in the capital, and while traveling to the capital’s close surroundings. In addition to this, holders of this pass have an opportunity to get discounts at museums and theaters.
2. The majority of the city’s institutions are closed on Monday. Tuesday and Wednesday are the most suitable days for excursions - many museums and exhibition galleries work till late on these days.
3. You should speak to local residents using their name or position. If you don’t know such information, then you can use the standard form - «Herr Doctor». The reason for this is in the fact the word "doctor" has many meanings in Germany, so it’s appropriate when referring to people of different professions.
4. When entering a cafe or a restaurant, make sure you greet the people present with the word «Mahlzeit», which can be literally translated as "bon appetit".
6. The city is very convenient to travel by public transport. The transport chain is really diversified, and there are trolley-buses, trams and buses, trains and underground in Berlin. The subway line covers all important areas of the city. We should also note that certain types of buses and trolley buses run in the city even at night.
7. When you plan to make a walk, it's better to bring a copy of the passport or the hotel card with you. The identity document will help you to avoid many troubles.
9. All major stores, shopping malls, cafes and restaurants accept credit cards, so there’s no need to take large sums of cash with you.
10. It is better to get cash Geldautomat ATMs as they charge a small fee and are located near every major public institution or a shopping center.
Preparing your trip to Berlin: advices & hints - things to do and to obey You can re-publish this content with mandatory attribution: direct and active hyperlink to www.orangesmile.com.
What to visit being in Berlin - unique sights
Smallest House in the WorldFrom the series “The most bizarre and fancy living houses”
Check on the map: Distance from Berlin center - 1.4 km.All that ordinary people need for comfort is a square foot of their own living space. The tiny cottages were built of wood and were equipped with small wheels for mobility. All the furniture is collapsible, so you could easily reorganize the only room from living room to bedroom. The project organizer has valued the rent of such living space as 1 euro per day, making the tiny cottages the cheapest living space in the world. … Read further
TeufelsbergFrom the series “Abandoned places of the Earth with distinct marks of civilization”
Check on the map: Distance from Berlin center - 11.3 km.During the war years, a Nazi military school was located on site of the hill. The allies tried unsuccessfully to destroy it. Subsequently, they simply buried the school building under the 120-meter-thick layer of debris that remained from the destroyed neighbouring buildings. Since then, Teufelsberg Hill gained the informal name, Devil's Mountain. When the Berlin Wall fell, the station lost its primary importance. It is now abandoned and its building is badly damaged. … Read further
SpreeparkFrom the series “Deserted places causing the feeling of chill”
Check on the map: Distance from Berlin center - 7.4 km.Huge figures of dinosaurs with scratched paint, rusty railroads, collapsing roller coasters, and abandoned pavilions entertainment make all visitors melancholic. The main element of the park is a huge frightening Ferris wheel situated on the banks of a muddy pond. When the wind blows, the wheel turns slowly and makes a creepy rasp. … Read further
City tours, excursions and tickets in Berlin and surroundings
Photos of Berlin
Travelling to Berlin - advices and tips. What should be provisioned in advance, the rules you might want to follow, and the things you better avoid doing in Berlin. We help you to make your trip smooth and easy, with no unexpected surprises.