Preparing your trip to Chania: advices & hints - things to do and to obey
1. It is convenient to call other cities and countries from street payphones; they can be found literally on any city street. Payphones accept a special plastic card that can be purchased at any post office or newsstand. It should be noted that this way is the most budget-conscious; calls from the hotel would be a lot more expensive.
2. Tourists have to pay for goods and services exclusively in euro; any other currency won’t be accepted here. It is more profitable to exchange currency in your home country before the trip. You can also use services of many local banks and private exchange offices.
3. Travelers who want to rent a car will need a standard set of documents, including a passport and a driver license of international standard. Those with driving experience less than one year may be denied service. The cost of car rent is 40 euros per day depending on the particular chosen brand.
4. Holiday-makers should take into account that local restaurants and taverns have very attractive prices. The average bill in local restaurants is about 10-15 euros for a full three-course dinner.
6. The most common public transport is a bus; you can easily travel throughout the city using it. If necessary, you can reach any part of the island by bus. Travelers who are staying on holiday as a great company are recommended to use a taxi.
7. Vacationers aren’t recommended to overtaste national food and to drink tap water. This may affect the process of acclimatization.
The main part of city's attractions is concentrated in the so- called Old Town. It is noteworthy that during the Second World War, this part of Chania has miraculously remained intact, so … Open
9. Shops are open from 8:00 am to 9:00-10:00 pm. In the afternoon they may have quite a long break, which usually starts at 1:00 pm and lasts until 5:00 pm.
Preparing your trip to Chania: advices & hints - things to do and to obey You can re-publish this content with mandatory attribution: direct and active hyperlink to www.orangesmile.com.
What to visit being in Chania - unique sights
Dimitros-P WrecksFrom the series “The Surviving Remains of Shipwrecks You Can Observe Yourself”
Check on the map: Distance from Chania center - 41.1 km.The storm didn't go down for several days. That's why the ship has to change its course and come to anchor on other islands. On January 8, 1968, the ship was wrecked with the anchors and ran aground on the Imeri Gramvousa island. Fortunately, everyone was safe and sound and on January, 8 all were evacuated from the island. Since the wreck, the ship wasn’t transported from this island. Today it is a place of interest for tourists. We can call it a real sightseeing of this place. … Read further
Elafonissi BeachFrom the series “Top 15 Most Romantic Beaches on Earth”
Check on the map: Distance from Chania center - 51 km.Among the main features of the unique beach we should mention the purest sand of a pleasant pink shade, that received its non-standard colour due to the smallest fragments of shells. With the pink sand covering the coastal zone of the island, a tragic legend is associated. In April 1824, at the height of the war with Turkey, several hundred local residents, mainly women and children, took refuge on the islet. They failed to escape from the conquerors, all the people who had sheltered on the island perished at the hands of the enemy. … Read further
City tours, excursions and tickets in Chania and surroundings
Photos of Chania
Travelling to Chania - advices and tips. What should be provisioned in advance, the rules you might want to follow, and the things you better avoid doing in Chania. We help you to make your trip smooth and easy, with no unexpected surprises.