Preparing your trip to Istanbul: advices & hints - things to do and to obey
1. Before photographing local people, you should definitely ask them for permission. Remember you cannot make shots of women dressed in black capes.
2. When you enter a home or a mosque, you should definitely take your shoes off. You should be very careful while selecting clothes before visiting religious sites of Istanbul. Short skirts, shorts and open tops are not suitable for observations of the city.
3. You can drink alcohol in specially designated areas only.
4. Tips in local cafes and restaurants make up about 10% of the total amount of the order. Leaving tips in taxi is not common.
6. Do not drink tap water. It is not dangerous to health, but contains a lot of chlorine.
7. Buses are the best way to move on the city. This is also the most economical form of transport. As a rule, the fare is increased at night.
9. Shopping malls are the best place to acquire expensive products. Not all products you see on open markets are of a high quality. It should be noted that the prices for clothing and jewelry in malls and markets do not differ significantly.
10. During some religious holidays restaurants and cafes of the city can stop selling alcoholic beverages. Going to a dinner at some restaurant, you should definitely ask about the availability of a wine list.
Preparing your trip to Istanbul: advices & hints - things to do and to obey You can re-publish this content with mandatory attribution: direct and active hyperlink to www.orangesmile.com.
What to visit being in Istanbul - unique sights
Sirkeci Gari StationFrom the series “Top 14 Most Astonishing Railway Stations in the World”
Check on the map: Distance from Istanbul center - 1.1 km.Earlier at this place were placed marvellous Ottoman villas and ancient fortress walls. All this was demolished before the building of the railway station. The scientists found this district very significant from the archaeological point. Under the station may be placed ancient ruins of the Constantinople. Sirkeci Gari Station is attractive not only for admirers of ancient architecture but also for gourmands. In the clock tower, the luxurious restaurant "Orient express" has been adoring people with its marvellous dishes and atmosphere for a number of years. … Read further
Dolmabahce PalaceFrom the series “The Most Elegant Buildings of Baroque Architecture”
Check on the map: Distance from Istanbul center - 1.1 km.Nowadays the wonderful Baroque palace is used as a museum. Visitors can see there a lot of marvellous elements of decoration and old pieces of art. Dolmabahce Palace is a very popular sightseeing in Istanbul. Tourists like to take a lot of pictures of it, not only from the ground but also from the water during a boat trip. Since 2007, this palace is an official residence of the Turkish prime minister. That’s why a great part of rooms is closed for tourists. Near the Dolmabahce Palace, you can find the so-named mosque, which is also very interesting to visit. … Read further
Turk ve Islam Eserleri MuzesiFrom the series “Top Surviving Artifacts of Muslim Civilization”
Check on the map: Distance from Istanbul center - 1.6 km.You can walk around the museum both independently and accompanied by a guide, all its exhibits are supplemented with detailed explanatory signs. Some of the exhibits, presented in the museum, are very unusual, here you can see huge stone columns, and slabs, which are carved with a variety of historical subjects. The collection of ceramics is a collection of great interest, as well as the collection of old books collected in the museum. This museum will be interesting to visit even with children. The whole point is that during the tour with the help of a projector interesting themed cartoons are being shown. … Read further
City tours, excursions and tickets in Istanbul and surroundings
Photos of Istanbul
Travelling to Istanbul - advices and tips. What should be provisioned in advance, the rules you might want to follow, and the things you better avoid doing in Istanbul. We help you to make your trip smooth and easy, with no unexpected surprises.