OrangeSmile Tours Best destinations around the world - Travel Guide
Luxemburg

Architecture of Luxemburg. Must see and must visit landmarks

Casino Luxembourg, Luxembourg

Location on the map:     Interesting facts:
» The Casino Luxembourg Showroom was opened in 1996 to promote art.
»  The strange name of the construction has not been changed. The original building served as a casino in 1882.
»  In Bourgeois, there are reading rooms and a restaurant. Several halls were opened to organize dance evenings, concerts, and different public events. Local painters exhibited their masterpieces here.
»  Composer Liszt held his last piano concert here.
»  During the German occupation, there was the enemy’s Headquarter.
»  Municipal authorities decided to restore the building to open the culture center. Exhibitions are themed. Lecture, seminars, and other educational events are often visited by students.
»  The library fund includes up to 7 million periodicals about art development since 1960 and about other cultural spheres. Here, you can see canvasses of over 50 artists and meet bohemian representatives.
»  You can also find journal files from 40 countries on bookshelves.

Church of St. John, Luxembourg

Location on the map:   Interesting facts: » The church was built at the beginning of the 14th century and was a part of the Benedictine monastery. The references to it date back to 1309.
»  It was constructed upon the order of Henry VII. The beginning of the 17th century was marked by the construction of the new building. It has been survived until today.
»  There is a painted altar with 3 shutters depicting scenes from the Holy Scripture. There is also a Gothic chapel for baptism. The organ was placed here. It was created in 1710.
»  Pilgrims from all over the world come here to bow to the miraculous sculpture. It depicts the Black Madonna. She holds a baby in one hand and a rod in the other. The sculpture is made of wood and installed over the main portal. The Black Madonna looks over the heads of worshipers. Her baby looks at the horizon. His hand is over the chest. His face has not a childish but adult impression.
»  The patroness watches over the weak and pregnant women. As the legend says, the wedding will be happy for those who come to see the Black Madonna.
»  There are two statues of saints at the sides of the doorway. They are dedicated to the nun and the priest.

City History Museum, Luxembourg

Location on the map:     Interesting facts:
» Visit the History Museum to learn about city development. Here, you can see archaeological artifacts, household and religious items, and pieces of art.
»  The modern building was built specifically for demonstrating artifacts. The cultural institution is financed by the government.
»  Originally, the art object was created by enthusiasts in the late 18th century. They intended to preserve historical monuments and items of national pride. Church property was often sequestered.
»  All the conditions for better exposure are considered in the project of the construction. The museum was opened before the Second World War.
»  The first sector presents exhibits telling about historical artifacts and the natural relief. The museum is also proud of the astronomical machine of 1796.
»  Stone work tools, annals on parchment, weapons of ancient warriors, collectible numismatics, and preserved fragments of gravestones are just some of the exhibits being of academic interest and representing the life of the bygone era.
»  The part of the museum is dedicated to paintings and traditional crafts.

Fort van Thungen, Luxembourg

Location on the map:   Interesting facts: » The defensive tower was built in 1732. The commandant was an Austrian national. The fortress is named after him, Thungen.
»  Deep ditches were dug to make it impregnable. They were filled with water. The 170-meter tunnel was driven to link the fort with the city.
»  The fortification had defended the city surroundings for three centuries. In 1867, the fortress was destroyed due to the signing of the peace treaty. Then, Thungen symbolizing belligerence had disappeared.
»  Only the foundation and three towers were left from the citadel. They rise over the chasm. The outer walls of solid stone blocks are protected by the rocky ascent. The roofs of tower platforms are crowned by acorns.
»  The building belongs to the Museum of Modern Art. According to the architect’s plan, the contemporary building framed with metal and faced with glass is aimed at combining the past and the present.
»  In the territory of the museum, there is a winter garden and an area with sculptures.
»  Canvasses, pictures, and graphics presented at exhibitions. In Fortvan Thungen Luxembourg, they reveal the history of the region.

Luxembourg railway station, Luxembourg

Location on the map:     Interesting facts:
» The Railway Station belongs to the state organization. It links domestic lines of Luxembourg. From here, you can travel to neighboring countries.
»  Local trains arrive at the station every 5-20 minutes.
»  Originally, the building of traffic intersection was wooden and one-storey. The city started to grow exactly from this point.
»  In 1907, the building was replaced by a modern one constructed by German architects in Baroque style. The building is faced with red stone blocks. The dome of the construction is crowned by a clock tower that is seen from afar.
»  Recently, high-speed trains from France have started to go through the station.
»  One of the districts is called Gar, which is translated as “railway station”.
»  The infrastructure of the station meets all the modern requirements. There are also cafes, parking areas, and a car rental station. You can find lost things in the lost-and-found office. There are all the conditions for the disabled.
»  The Luxembourg Railway Station is 2 km from the central district.

Monument of Remembrance, Luxembourg

Location on the map:     Interesting facts:
» There is a monumental stela in honor of volunteers fallen in battlefields during the First World War. It is located in the central districts with a lot of buildings. The monument was constructed in 1923.
»  The citizens call the monument “Golden Lady”.
»  Thousands of union governments joining the volunteer army are a huge amount for Luxembourg.
»  The 21-meter cone column is faced with granite. There is a bronze and gilded statue of the woman. She holds the laurel wreath, the symbol of invincibility of soldiers’ spirit. Near it, there are two statues of men on the platform. One warrior is lying and the other is sitting. The surviving sitting man is mourning his comrade.
»  The German demolished the sculpture during occupation. The monument was restored by the fragments preserved.
»  Today, the stela embodies sorrow regarding soldiers dying during World War II and the Korean War.
»  In 1985, the restored and updated monument was opened for visitors.
»  When the world exhibition was organized in Shanghai, the statue of Gёlle Fra was temporarily exhibited in this city.

Museum of the Central Bank, Luxembourg

Location on the map:   Interesting facts: » The Central Bank was founded in 1856. In the building of the late 19th century, there is a parent financial institution. Collectible exhibits are kept here, in the namesake Museum.
»  The cultural institution was founded in 1995. At the area of 650 square meters, you can see artifacts telling about the historical development of the bank in Luxembourg.
»  Here, you can see metal coins used many years ago. You can also learn about the production of banknotes. One of the sectors is dedicated to money stolen from bank safes.
»  By watching a film, the visitor can learn about bank robberies and bold bank raids in the 20th century. There is a collection of figurines. These are different ceramic, porcelain moneyboxes where money was kept.
»  The main bank branch includes three additional buildings. They are connected by an underground tunnel. Nowadays, canvasses of contemporary art are exhibited in the tunnel.
»  There are terminals in the museum. You can find information about the financial activity of the city on their interactive displays. Inquisitive tourists can also learn about how the Central Bank is changing the economy of the country.

Notre-Dame Cathedral, Luxembourg

Location on the map:     Interesting facts:
» The cathedral was named after the Mother of God in 1848.
»  In 1613-1621, the building located in the southern district belonged to the Jesuits. In 150 years, when members of the Order were exiled outside the country, the church was given the icon of the city patroness. The house of God was named Notre-Dame Cathedral after her.
»  It had been constructed for 8 years since the beginning of the 17th century. The updated interior is designed in Neo-Gothic style of the 19th century. There are a lot of magnificent sculptures.
»  You can see here the icon of the Virgin holding the Infant Christ. It is made of wood.
»  There are two organs inside. One of them has 11 bells. The biggest organ has a diameter of 185 m. The bell tower was destroyed by fire. It was restored completely in 1985. The citizens still hear a melodious chime.
»  Here, you can see richly decorated tombs of the founding fathers of the city and the stone crypt with the ashes of the King of Bohemia, John the Blind. The crypt is located under the church. It is guarded by two bronze lions.
»  On Easter days, thousands of pilgrims visit the cathedral to pray to the Virgin.

Philharmonie Luxembourg, Luxembourg

Location on the map:     Interesting facts:
» The exterior of the House of Music where the local Philharmonic is located matches its interior.
»  The building is surrounded by 823 high pillars. Columns of white steel are situated in four rows and support the dome. The concert platform is surrounded by multilevel lodges.
»  There are several halls inside. The Grand Auditorium is bigger than others and accommodates more spectators. 1 500 visitors can enjoy music at the same time.
»  It is possible due to the perfect acoustics made by modern technologies. It seems that every playgoer participates in music performances.
»  There is a hall with 13 seats and area for children’ performances.
»  When the Philharmonic was opened, the grand concert was organized. Over 200 young musicians demonstrated their mastership. The art event lasted until the evening. The festival lasted 8 days. At that time, 15 000 people visited concert halls.
»  Such a large-scale event became a tradition. Not only local musicians, but also creative people from other countries are invited.
»  The Philharmonic is named after Josephine Charlotte, the wife of Duke of Luxembourg.

Sacred Heart Parish, Luxembourg

Location on the map:   Interesting facts: » The Jack Welch Management Institute was opened with the support of the Ministry of Higher Education. It was founded just a few decades ago.
»  Offered programs will let students work in the financial sphere in the future. At Sacred Heart University, you can attend business classes.
»  Students can acquire education in the following spheres: trade management, modern technologies, art criticism, and social career.
»  5 700 students, including 2 400 foreigners, study here. Entrants from forty countries attend the university. A good education gives an impetus to further career development in EU companies.
»  The educational institution cooperates closely with 50 universities in other countries.
»  Methods of teaching intramural and extra-mural students were also developed. The university was founded in 1991. Its foundation was connected with the necessity to give future specialists an academic education.
»  Sacred Heart University is named after the founder and chief executive of the General Electric, John Welch. He advises the university administration.

Saint Michael Church, Luxembourg

Location on the map:     Interesting facts:
» At Saint Michel Church, Catholic services are held.
»  In 987, the facility for private worships was constructed here. The building was destroyed and restored many times.
»  It has not changed since 1688. There is a preserved emblem in the form of three lines on the walls of the temple.
»  During the Revolution, the construction was saved from being destroyed completely by the icon of the saint with the crown resembling a Jacobin hood. The room served as an entertainment venue for the Jacobins. The altar turned to stage for theatrical performances. Revolutionary plays were staged here.
»  The church is named after the city intercessor. As the legend says, exactly Saint Michael saved citizens from the huge serpent that appeared from the lake. The sculpture of the savior (the 17th century) was placed in the deep niche at the entrance.
»  St. Michael’s Church was restored at the beginning of the 21st century (in 2004).
»  The altar is decorated with complicated intertwined elements. They create an elusive sense of space. The altar and Gothic vault were created in 1519. However, the only main entrance has left from the original chapel.
Luxemburg guide chapters 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Fantastic City Tours and Excursions in Luxemburg

Country maps Maps of Luxemburg
Car rental on OrangeSmile.com Car rental in Luxemburg
Map of cities Cities map of Luxemburg

W Hotels Adds One More Hotel in China

W Hotel in Changsha is conveniently located in the heart of the city, close to its business and shopping districts. It is also easy to reach the hotel from Changsha Huanghua International Airport – it takes only 30 minutes by car to get to it. The Changsha South Railway Station is even closer – within a 15-minute drive. The railway offers a simple connection to large cities like Beijing, Hong Kong, and Macau via a high-speed express. Changsha is a modern and futuristic city, and the hotel reflects this in its playful and even somewhat provocative design inspired by outer space. Read this

17.09.2021

Photogallery of Luxemburg architecture

What to see in top cities of Luxemburg

Luxembourg
Wine connoisseurs come to Luxembourg not for the purpose of walking or excursions. They are attracted by local vineyards and old wineries. Compared to the small size of the country, the total area covered by vineyards, 800 hectares, looks quite impressive. If you are also passionate about vintage wine, don’t forget to visit Moselle valley. One can easily combine pastime of different types in this amazing region – make walks to picturesque places, get acquainted with local flora and fauna, … Read more

Map of city guides for Luxemburg

Address/Sight name City/Region Country Within radius, km
 Types of touristic objects to search for
Hotels & Car rental
Carhire locations
0 star
1 star
2 stars
3 stars
4 stars
5 stars
Touristic places
Art galleries
Churches/Temples
Museums
Castles/Palaces
Monuments
Touristic areas
Sightseeings
Attractions
Attraction parks
Casino
Theaters/Cinema
Disco/Clubs
Parks
Zoo
Aqua parks
Transport
Airports
Train stations
Bus stations
Metro
Parkings
Fuel stations
Ports/Ferries
Open the list of object types
Health/Sport
Open the list of object types
Food/Money
Open the list of object types
Shopping
Open the list of object types
Beauty/Medicine
Open the list of object types
City services
Open the list of object types
Useful services
OrangeSmile.com - online travel reservation expert providing reliable car rental and hotel booking services. We feature more than 25.000 destinations with 12.000 rental offices and 200.000 hotels worldwide.
Secure Server
Head office
Weegschaalstraat 3, Eindhoven
5632 CW, The Netherlands
+31 40 40 150 44


Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | About us
Copyright © 2002 - OrangeSmile Tours B.V. | OrangeSmile.com | Under the direction and management of IVRA Holding B.V. - Registered at Kamer van Koophandel (KvK), The Netherlands No. 17237018