Top cultural sites of Lithuania: monuments, theaters and churches
Guggenheim Hermitage Museum, Vilnius
Location on the map:
» American businessman Benjamin Guggenheim and his brother Solomon found the museum of modern art in the USA. Other centers built in other cities are similar to this one.
» The new building is located on the right bank of the Neris River in Vilnius. There is a cultural object on the new embankment, in the midst of skyscrapers of Vilnius City.
» In the Guggenheim Museum, there are several spacious rooms for exhibitions. One of them will serve as a constant exhibition.
» In the museum, you can see various pieces of art, including paintings, sculptures, and installations provided by the Guggenheim Museum in New York and the Russian State Hermitage.
» Architects paid special attention to the place where the exhibition dedicated to the Lithuanian Jews is organized. Most of the 200 thousand people of this nation died in the Second World War. The Center shows respect the dead this way.
» Colorful canvasses of local masters will occupy a special place in the gallery of the Vilnius Guggenheim Museum.
» You can see exhibits of visual art in a total area of 2 000 m2.
Presidential Palace, Vilnius
» Christianity was adopted in 1387. The palace was built in commemoration of this event.
» A few centuries after, the garden that is notable for diverse flora was planted here.
» At different times, eminent nobles stayed here. There is a preserved engraving of the 19th century depicting the memorable defeat of Napoleon’s army.
» The exterior of the Presidential Palace in the Empire style demonstrates the value of nationhood and power.
» The rooms on the ground floor are well equipped. With it, the architectural style of late classicism has been preserved, as the furniture is primarily of red color.
» The interior of main halls was restored according to the archival data. Historical pieces of furniture have been preserved. The second level of the western part was rebuilt.
» At the weekend, the rite of changing the state flag is held by the honor guard. Soldiers of the patrol wear medieval armors.
» In 1997, the President moved to the new palace.
» The palace is divided into halls: Conference Hall, White Hall for official meetings, Blue Hall for personal meetings, Green Hall for the President and his assistants’ meetings, and the Presidential Room for general meetings.
St. Anne Church, Vilnius
» The church is named after the Blessed Mother of the Virgin Mary. It was first mentioned in the historical chronicles in 1394.
» The exterior walls are plastered with red clay, which gives an impression that you see bricks of different shapes. Such an architectural style is called “Flamboyant”.
» You can see a stigma on one of the walls but no one has deciphered these signs.
» The length and width of the small rectangular building are 22 m and 10 m correspondingly. The facade is divided into 3 parts. The symmetry of the building is represented by equally tall elegant towers.
» Rectangles with crossing lines stretch from the ledge and create a rope ornament. Their edges depict a hammered vane, a cross and the Sun. There are only eight long lancet windows on the side thin walls. The ceiling is upheld by decorative crescent lance-shaped stone towers.
» The interior is quite modest: light walls without paintings, several icons, and the altar with a wooden cross.
» Napoleon’s Army burnt the wooden utensils during their attack. Although, the Emperor dreamed of “transporting the church to Paris on his palms”.
St. Nicholas Church, Vilnius
» Originally, the church was used by foreign merchants and craftsmen. It had been built by German architects for 5 years (since 1382).
» According to the documents, it was blessed in 1514.
» Then, a bell tower and a stone fence were built.
» The exterior is quite plain. The small rectangular temple has thick walls of red brick. There are no towers.
» The entrance is made of decorative shaped brick. There are niches of different heights at the sides of the pediment. The cross beam of the window is curved.
» But its interior is rich with lots of moldings and sculptures. At the beginning of the 16th century, the fire damaged the interior.
» In front of the church, there is the statue of St. Christopher with the baby in his hands. The engraving on the pediment depicts the same.
» Four octagonal pillars uphold soffits. They are made of bricks that rounds pillars.
» In the church, there are 3 altars, each of which is decorated with statues of saints. There is the convex statue of the Mother of Sorrows to the right. Sculptures of babies alternate with columns.
» The church is named after St. Nicholas, the Christian patron of sailors and merchants.
St. Peter and St. Paul Church, Vilnius
» The commander of the Lithuanian troop bequeathed to bury him under the threshold of the church. He built it at his own expense. The construction began in 1668.
» 100 years later, the gravestone was struck by lightning. Then, the Hetman was buried in accordance with the Christian tradition. The ledger was cemented in one of the church stones.
» Italian masters building the church added a pleasing view to the interior by placing over 2 thousand gypsum statues. The white color dominates and provides a sense of the huge space.
» The altar image of the 18 century is special. The painting depicts terrible scenes of the plague. The sculpture of the Death and St. Christopher stands out among other sculptures.
» The big prolonged crystal chandelier is made of fancy metal items. Convex massive bas-reliefs resemble elephants’ heads.
» The church has the shape of the Latin cross. The facade is framed with two towers. The temple resembles a medieval castle with its exterior. Round columns are bulky from below and crowned with patterned molding from above. There is a dome with a lantern above the main entrance.
» The church was named after saint followers of Christ's teachings, Peter and Paul.
St. Teresa Church, Vilnius
» The church consists of former buildings of the wooden monastery and the chapel. The total area is 84 440 m2.
» Then, the stone church was built at the expense of the nobles in 1630. Marble of different colors, stone, and sandstone from Sweden were used.
» The church was blessed under the name of St. Teresa, the nun who contributed much to the foundation of the Secular Order of Discalced Carmelites. Not to worry about the afflicted, the city authorities invited maidservants and carmelitess.
» When the building was being reconstructed, the architect built a bell tower. Interior and exterior walls, as well as the ceiling, are decorated with picturesque sculptures and frescoes.
» The exterior of the church is asymmetric. There is a three-tier bell tower at one side and temple rooms linked with hallways at the other side.
» There are 9 altars made in different architectural styles and colors inside. They are decorated with gilt and gypsum sculptures. Side altars depict saint apostles.
» Frescoes depict the moments of St. Teresa’s life. One of them shows Teresa with the bleeding heart.
» There are a lot of paintings and even niches with sculptures under the dome.
Vilnius Cathedral, Vilnius
» The temple of God was built at the site of the Pagan temple, which is reflected in the masonry of the 13th century.
» The nobles were crowned in the old Vilnius Cathedral. The eminent nobles are buried in underground tombs (there are over 20 tombs). Nowadays, public ceremonies are held here.
» Over the years of its existence, the building was repeatedly destroyed in a fire and rebuilt. The cathedral has gained the highest status, a small basilica.
» The facade is upheld by 6 columns. The walls are faced with sandstone and varicoloured marble. The roof is crowned with the statues of St. Stanislav, St. Helen with a gilded cross, and Casimir. They were canonized for their godly deeds. There are gypsum casts of evangelists with animals in the niches.
» You can see drawings of apostles healing the sick above the main entrance. On the pediment, you can see the offering of Noah. The painting depicts the altar with a burning offering and the members of his family at the sides. There are the statues of prophets Abraham and Moses.
» All the installations date back to the end of the 18th century. The interior walls are decorated with frescoes and paintings of the 16th-19th centuries. One of them depicts crucified Jesus.