OrangeSmile Tours Best destinations around the world - Travel Guide
Liege

Top architectural sightseeing and landmarks of Liege - ideas on city exploration routes

King Albert esplanade by night Of course, in order to feel the magnificent atmosphere of Liege, one needs to visit this place, walk on charming streets of the historical center, visit local cafes, and enjoy the look of the local landmarks - Church of St. Bartholomew, Church of Saint-Jean, Prince-Bishops Palace, Curtius Museum, Maurice Dyufran and many others. In order to make your virtual tour to the city more interactive, we offer an unusual opportunity to fly over every notable landmark of Liege. Simply start the video, and use the full-screen mode. Each landmark comes with extra information, containing a collection of interesting facts and a photo gallery. Let’s go!

Church of St. Bartholomew, Liege

» The Church of St. Bartholomew attracts with its exterior. Vertical ledges of red columns contrast with the background of the white sandstone walls.
»  A lot of pilgrims following the road of St. Jacob visited the church.
»  The unfinished building was blessed when the foundation was laid.
»  The Church of St. Bartholomew built in the Roman style is located beyond the city.
»  There are two similar bell towers at the sides of the church.
»  In the hall, you can see paintings by eminent artists. The main theme of canvasses is the glorification of Jesus.
»  You can also see a brass bowl here. A font was built in the 12th century. The bowl is installed on the backs of bulls. There were 12 statues of animals but two of them have been lost. These bulls represent twelve followers of Christ. The walls of the font are decorated with five relief paintings depicting scenes from the life of celestial beings. The fineness of details really impresses. The font is placed on a pedestal in a separate room.
»  The restoration of the building lasted 7 years and was completed in 2006. The colorful ornament on painted walls was renovated. It had to change 10 000 tiles.

Church of Saint-Jean, Liege

» The octagonal church of St. Jean looks bleak and strict.
»  The church is named Saint-Jean-en-Lille, which means “a temple on the island”). The first building was built on the plot surrounded by water.
»  The founder of the church was Bishop Notger. The bishop expressed his gratitude to God for assistance in captivating the Chevremon Fortress. The warrior found rest here. The tomb with his relics was lost due to the overflow of the river. The sarcophagus of the leader was restored but his remnants were not found. The flood gave an impetus to the building reconstruction.
»  Italian and Liege architects worked on the project. Only a bell tower built in the Roman style has survived.
»  At the Saint-Jean-en-Lille, pieces of sacred art are kept: the wooden sculpture of Apostle John and the Mother of God with a baby (1230), paintings from the Late Middle Ages, a carved cross, and wooden lockets depicting St. Paul and Peter. On the altar, there is the preserved gospel dating back to 1564.
»  The interior is distinguished by stained glass windows of the 16th century, furniture on the baroque style, and a carved Gothic vault.

Prince-Bishops Palace, Liege

» When Victor Hugo visited the palace, he was impressed by its magnificence and monumentality.
»  The building resembles a quilt made of different fabrics. The construction with wall panels and arched vaults combines different architectural styles.
»  The castle with high walls was built at the beginning of the 11th century. It was surrounded by a moat.
»  After the war in 1734, the southern wall was destroyed but the building was restored. However, it was looted many times.
»  In the 18th century, the building acquired the appearance of the public venue.
»  A hundred years after, the regional government sat here.
»  Nowadays, the building belongs to the local court. The interior of the Palace of the Prince-Bishops has survived. Here, you can see clothes with ornaments, homespun carpets, handmade draperies, and old chimneys of the 16th century.
»  The courtyard is a long indoor area with a high vault. The canopy is supported by 60 columns.
»  The liege mansion has a double name because every king or bishop used the building for his own purposes.

Curtius Museum, Liege

» The Armament and Supply Officer ordered to build a building at the beginning of the 17th century. The palace is named after Juan de la Corte. The sun of the Intendant was an unworthy heir and squandered his wealth.
»  The building belonged to different owners several times. After the reconstruction, it passed to the city authorities. A museum was opened here.
»  The mansion houses collectible archeological exhibits, religious items, and pieces of decorative art. There are over 5 000 exhibits: glass and silver dishes, porcelain statuettes, paintings depicting Biblical scenes, and clergymen’s clothes.
»  The collection will tell you how the settlement developed from the period of Celtic tribes to nowadays.
»  The text of the Annuli of the 10th-12th century is very precious. The Gospel belonged to a Benedictine monk. Sheets of the book are covered with ivory. The exhibit is decorated with precious stones.
»  Besides these artifacts, you can also see pieces of contemporary art here.

Maurice Dyufran, Liege

Location on the map:
Facts: » The stadium was constructed in 1909. It is one of the oldest constructions in the country.
»  It seats 30 000 people. There are also special VIP stands with 4 000 seats.
»  The Stade Maurice Dufrasne is the home stadium of local FC Standard. Highly qualified players train in the Belgium club. The organization founded in 1898 is one of the most eminent clubs in the country.
»  In autumn 2008, the Belgium team competed with Estonian sportsmen for the right to take part in the Olympic Games 2010.
»  Maurice Dyufran was the fifth head of the club. The stadium is named after him.
»  Over the years of its existence, it has been restored many times.
»  Today, the stadium has electric heating. The playing field has no dome. There are canopies only over spectators’ stands. The total area of the field is 105x68 m. Spotlights illuminate the stadium when it gets dark.
»  The Maurice Dyufran Stadium is also called Stade de Sclessin.

Church of St. Jacques, Liege

Location on the map:
Facts: » Only part of the wall and a tower were left from the construction of 1015.
»  The building has the shape of a cross. Windows are big and transmit much daylight. Stained glass with pictures of 32 heraldic craftsmen’ emblems was made in the 16th century. Wall panels are decorated with frescoes created at the same time. The long hallway is decorated with carved stone laces and a lot of statues. On the vault, you can see 150 pyramidal decorative elements distinguished by a unique ornament.
»  A modern organ (1998) was placed in the body of the old instrument (1600).
»  The Gothic Church was consecrated in honor of James, son of Alphaeus. Little is known about the apostle and the follower of Christ. It is known from Lives of Saints that James preached in Judea. According to one version, he was stoned by Jews to death. According to the other legend, he was crucified for his belief when he traveled to Egypt.
»  The House of God is located in the historic center of the city.
»  Before, the church had belonged to the Benedictine Abbey. In 1801, the abbey was demolished but the prayer house is still used.
Liege - guide chapters 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

City tours, excursions and tickets in Liege and surroundings

Build your walking routes in Liege on the landmark map

Car rental on OrangeSmile.com Rentals in Liege

Traveling in Norway: the Best Places to See During a Short Getaway

If you plan to stay in Norway only for several days, do not limit yourself to the capital. Hotels in Oslo are quite expensive but it is still better to book a hotel located close to the city center. Most tourists start their journey in Norway with Oslo as the biggest airport in the country is located in the capital. The capital’s major attractions include the Oslo Opera House, the Royal Palace, the National Museum, the Munch Museum, Grand Hotel, Parliament building, and Karl Johaus Gate Road. Visit the Munch Museum to see famous “The Scream” painting and then move to Aker Brygge harbor – most tourists come here to take pictures of old ships. Finally, the Grünerløkka neighborhood is a trendy place for everyone who likes partying at night or visiting cute vintage shops in the daytime. Read this

14.04.2021

Photo of Liege landmarks

Search for sightseeing (monuments, temples, palaces) in Liege

Address/Sight name City/Region Country Within radius, km
 Types of touristic objects to search for
Hotels & Car rental
Carhire locations
0 star
1 star
2 stars
3 stars
4 stars
5 stars
Touristic places
Art galleries
Churches/Temples
Museums
Castles/Palaces
Monuments
Touristic areas
Sightseeings
Attractions
Attraction parks
Casino
Theaters/Cinema
Disco/Clubs
Parks
Zoo
Aqua parks
Transport
Airports
Train stations
Bus stations
Metro
Parkings
Fuel stations
Ports/Ferries
Open the list of object types
Health/Sport
Open the list of object types
Food/Money
Open the list of object types
Shopping
Open the list of object types
Beauty/Medicine
Open the list of object types
City services
Open the list of object types
Useful services

Architectural landmarks in the regions around Liege

OrangeSmile.com - online travel reservation expert providing reliable car rental and hotel booking services. We feature more than 25.000 destinations with 12.000 rental offices and 200.000 hotels worldwide.
Secure Server
Head office
Weegschaalstraat 3, Eindhoven
5632 CW, The Netherlands
+31 40 40 150 44


Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | About us
Copyright © 2002 - OrangeSmile Tours B.V. | OrangeSmile.com | Under the direction and management of IVRA Holding B.V. - Registered at Kamer van Koophandel (KvK), The Netherlands No. 17237018