Preparing your trip to Vienna: advices & hints - things to do and to obey
1. The public transport system is very well developed here. Trams and buses work from early in the morning until midnight. After midnight you will see special night buses on main streets of the city.
2. Taxis are rather cheap in Vienna, but "catching" it on the streets of the city is simply impossible. It is better to call a car to a restaurant or a hotel. You can also take a taxi in one of special sites.
3. The majority of shops and shopping centers are open until 18:00. Shops located near railway stations work until 23:00.
4. Tobacco products can be purchased in special stores and kiosks only.
6. Anyone can rent a car in Vienna. For this purpose it is enough to have a credit card by any bank and an international driver's license. A person, who rents a car, should be at least 21 years old; some brands of cars are allowed for rent only to persons aged 23 or older.
7. Banks are the best place to exchange currency as they usually offer the most favorable rate. On Thursdays the majority of banks have reduced working hours, so they are closed for an hour and a half earlier than usual.
The history of Vienna is more than three thousand years. During the reign of the Habsburgs the city became the capital, and its imperial elegance is the legacy of the dynasty. Vienna is a … Open
Preparing your trip to Vienna: advices & hints - things to do and to obey You can re-publish this content with mandatory attribution: direct and active hyperlink to www.orangesmile.com.
What to visit being in Vienna - unique sights
KarlskircheFrom the series “The Most Elegant Buildings of Baroque Architecture”
Check on the map: Distance from Vienna center - 0.3 km.It is important to see not only the rich decorated façade but also the wonderful decoration. There you can see a lot of great frescoes and old icons. The main decoration of the church is an old altar with an unusual terracotta relief. Under the cupola, there is a great viewing point that is open for tourists. To get there you have to use an elevator and then the staircase. Inside the cupola is decorated with a delicate painting made by Johann Michael Rottmayr. When you get to the viewing point, you have an opportunity to see the cupola closer. … Read further
Vienna Opera ToiletFrom the series “Public Toilets, Who Makes it Extravagant”
Check on the map: Distance from Vienna center - 0.4 km.The renowned architect Friedensreich Hundertwasser and the painter Rudolf Scheffel are the creator of the most unusual toilet in Austria. Remarkable that the exclusive toilet looked a little different at first. Into the men's cabins the original colorful pissoirs were placed in the form of the female lips, which were later removed. The Viennese women consider this design immoral, so the original design pissoirs have been replaced by the typical ones. After the abolition the original Klobecken were not destroyed, but by the Internet Auction eBay sold. … Read further
House AttackFrom the series “Top 16 Most Amazing Buildings of the Planet”
Check on the map: Distance from Vienna center - 0.8 km.The MUMOK Museum, housed in 'House Attack', presents the visitor more than 7,000 unique works of art, the authors of which are the talented young painters of the 19th and 20th centuries. The building, which fully reflects the particularity of the talented sculptor's style, is also a masterpiece of modern architecture. … Read further
City tours, excursions and tickets in Vienna and surroundings
Photos of Vienna
Travelling to Vienna - advices and tips. What should be provisioned in advance, the rules you might want to follow, and the things you better avoid doing in Vienna. We help you to make your trip smooth and easy, with no unexpected surprises.