Preparing your trip to Groningen: advices & hints - things to do and to obey
1. The most beneficial way to make calls to other cities and countries is to use special telephones that can be found on every street of the city. You will need to use special plastic cards to pay for your calls. As a rule, these cards can be conveniently purchased at any newsstand. Sometimes you can see machines that accept payments by coins.
2. The majority of shops and trading centers open at 9:00 and work until 18:00. Saturday is usually a short working day, so small shops can close at 16:00. As a rule, only large supermarkets and shopping malls work on Sunday.
3. Bicycle is the most common type of transportation in Groningen. Such a number of cyclists can hardly be seen in any other city of the country. Virtually the entire central part of the city is dedicated to bikes. There are also special bike lanes near all main transport routes.
4. Travelers, who expect to rent a car, will need a driving license of the international class, as well as a credit card for deposit purpose. Motorists should take into account that some streets in the center of the city may be closed for vehicles.
6. Bus is known as the main form of public transport. You can use it to get not only to all parts of the city, but also to the city’s suburbs. Tourists who arrive in Groningen for the first time are recommended to buy a city map that depicts all main public transport routes.
7. Service charges are already included in the total bill in the majority of restaurants. As a rule, the amount of service charges is 10 - 15% of the total due sum. Taxi drivers should also be awarded with a small cash reward. 10% of the amount will be sufficient.
In Groningen even most demanding gourmets will easily find a place to eat. The city is home to more than a hundred of different restaurants, each of which will surely please guests with its … Open
9. Fans of nightlife should go for a walk to the central area of the city, which is home to numerous entertainment venues, restaurants and bars.
10. In the evening you can walk safely in the city center only, because there are always many people despite the time of day. Exploring remote areas of Groningen is better to be done together with a guide.
Preparing your trip to Groningen: advices & hints - things to do and to obey You can re-publish this content with mandatory attribution: direct and active hyperlink to www.orangesmile.com.
What to visit being in Groningen - unique sights
SlauerhoffFrom the series “The Most Unusual and Strange Bridges on Earth”
Check on the map: Distance from Groningen center - 50 km.The drawbridge was named in honor of the well-known poet Jan Jacob Slauerhoff, who was born in Leeuwarden and has made the tiny town famous all over the world. The people with the lush imagination compare the bridge construction with the dredger. The bridge built over the river Harlinger is lifted up to ten times a day. And the lift-off takes only a few minutes. … Read further
City tours, excursions and tickets in Groningen and surroundings
Photos of Groningen
Travelling to Groningen - advices and tips. What should be provisioned in advance, the rules you might want to follow, and the things you better avoid doing in Groningen. We help you to make your trip smooth and easy, with no unexpected surprises.