Preparing your trip to Alkmaar: advices & hints - things to do and to obey
1. The historic city center is easily accessible by public transport. Those who're planning to visit the suburban areas of Alkmaar and travel by train are advised to buy tickets in special vending machines offering the lowest prices. They can be found at all major train stations. But keep in mind that such machines do not give change, so you should prepare small bills and coins in advance.
2. Go to shops located next to Waag Square for memorable souvenirs. Besides traditional miniature statuettes of mills and tulips, a popular souvenir is cheese. At the fair, you can choose any variety you like.
3. The best time to visit the city is between mid-April and October when cheese fairs are held here every Friday.
4. A popular city transport is a bicycle, traveling on which is much more convenient than by car. The city has a huge number of bicycle rentals, and the most expensive are those that are located near large hotels. Special bicycle paths are laid along all major roads, and next to many city attractions, restaurants, and shopping malls, you can find specially-equipped bicycle parking.
6. The famous Waag (Weigh House) building houses the largest tourist information office in the city. Here you can learn more about upcoming cultural events, clarify the working hours of museums and galleries, as well as the cost of tickets for certain events.
Preparing your trip to Alkmaar: advices & hints - things to do and to obey You can re-publish this content with mandatory attribution: direct and active hyperlink to www.orangesmile.com.
What to visit being in Alkmaar - unique sights
Hash Marihuana Hemp MuseumFrom the series “Strange, Weird and Unusual Museums Amusing its Visitors”
Check on the map: Distance from Alkmaar center - 30.7 km.Some museum rooms are dedicated to breeding the exhibits - here the various hemp varieties cultivated by the museum staff grow. Since 2003, the large and constantly updated collection of exhibits has been located in the new building, not far from Dam Square. Today, the museum's guests can see more than 6,000 unique exhibits. Although the theme of the museum is quite contradictory and controversial, the numerous tourists have been receiving it for several years. It must be borne in mind that the children under 13 years of age can visit the museum of marijuana free of charge, but only accompanied by adults. … Read further
Castle MuiderslotFrom the series “Impressive Castles and Palaces Located on Water”
Check on the map: Distance from Alkmaar center - 39.7 km.Its name is one of the most interesting stages of the history of the castle. Peter Hoft was interested in the literature and therefore made the majestic castle a literary salon. Outstanding writers and poets, including Jacobs Kats and Bredero have visited the castle. Among the other well-known guests is the world-famous painter Maria Tesselschade Visscher. At this period, the magnificent gardens on the castle's dungeon, which inspired many writers. … Read further
City tours, excursions and tickets in Alkmaar and surroundings
Photos of Alkmaar
Travelling to Alkmaar - advices and tips. What should be provisioned in advance, the rules you might want to follow, and the things you better avoid doing in Alkmaar. We help you to make your trip smooth and easy, with no unexpected surprises.