Cathedrale Saint Pierre.
Cathedral of Saint-Pierre is located at the highest point of the old town, at a height of 404m above the sea level. Many centuries ago, a Roman temple once stood on this place. Starting from the IV-V century, a small Christian basilica started appearing there. During the largest archaeological excavations in Europe the remains of earlier churches, the baptismal chapel of the IV century, and mosaic of the V century were discovered under the cathedral. The Cathedral of Saint-Pierre was built in 1150-1232 in the Roman style with some Gothic elements. Its capitals are made in the style of late romanticism and early Gothic.
With the beginning of the XIII century the appearance of the cathedral has undergone many changes. Both of its unfinished main towers date back to the thirteenth century. The former portal of the facade was replaced with the portico with six Corinthian columns in 1749 - 1756. The pointed metal tower of the cathedral dates back to 1895. It appeared on the site of the former belfry installed in the XV century. The interior of the church is designed in a strict Calvinistic style, so it is extremely modest. The northern side nave of the church is the location of "chaise de Calvin", a triangular chair that, supposedly, belonged to John Calvin (1509-1565), a theologian and church reformer who escaped from Paris and reached Geneva. The church’s chapels are located in front of wooden poles placed in a transverse nave. The Chapel of Rohan is the location of a monument dedicated to Duke Henri de Rohan (1579-1638). The duke was the leader of French Protestants during the reign of King Louis XIII. The monument was erected in 1889.
This article about Geneva is written by the orangesmile.com editorial team and is protected by the copyright law. The article can only be re-used with a direct link to www.orangesmile.com