Wall of the Reformers.
Beautiful Parc des Bastions is the location of Reformers Wall (Mur des Reformateurs) . Many years ago Geneva became home to the head of the Protestant Reformation, John Calvin and his associates. By the way, at first Calvin was banished from the city because of his opinion that was very strict and rough. However, after his return in 1541, Geneva became the "reformist Rome”. The supporters of the ideas of Calvinism arrived in the city from different parts of Europe.
The construction of the wall was started in 1909 to celebrate the 400th anniversary of Calvin's birth and the 350th anniversary of Geneva Academy for priests, which was founded by Calvin. Travellers will see the memorial panel installed in the old defensive wall. Its central part is decorated with five-meter sculptures of famous figures of the Reformation - Guillaume Farel (1489-1565), the creator of first reformation ideas, John Calvin (1509-1564), the undisputed leader of the movement, Theodore Beza (1513-1605), the first rector of the Academy for priests, and John Knox (1513-1572), a Scottish who was the founder of the Presbyterian Church. Visitors will also see the statues of other reformers from different countries to the right and left of the main sculptures.
This article about Geneva is written by the orangesmile.com editorial team and is protected by the copyright law. The article can only be re-used with a direct link to www.orangesmile.com