In local schools children learn all of these languages, but, as a rule, they can usually speak well only one of them. Local people are very religious, according to statistics, less than 5% of citizens do not adhere to any religion. The remaining 95% regularly attend religious shrines and have great respect towards religious holidays and customs. Residents of Geneva are very friendly to tourists, but you should not expect that can talk on any subject with the first stranger.
Escalade, which is celebrated each December, is one of most famous and colorful national holidays. A large historical procession is the culmination of the festival. The townspeople dress up in medieval costumes and walk on main city streets with an orchestra consisting of flute and drum players. Hot red wine is considered the main drink of the holiday. It can be tasted in many coffee houses of the city. From early morning till late at night the Old Town becomes the venue of numerous music concerts, theatrical performances and various competitions. The festival named Days of Geneva is no less interesting. It takes place on early August and is also accompanied by numerous popular festivities.
: guide to Geneva with maps, photos and weather conditions
This article about Geneva is copyrighted by the our editorial team, & can only be reused with a link to www.orangesmile.com