Located among the waters of the White Sea, the Solovetsky Islands are also a centre of historical and architectural sights of world significance. The central place in the architectural complex is occupied by the Spaso-Preobrazhensky Solovetsky Monastery, which was founded in the 30s of the 15th century. The founder of the monastery is St. Philip, who was one of the largest farmers of the state. For a long history of existence the monastery suffered a lot of siege. From 16 to 20 century it was the location of political ecclesiastical prison.
In 1920 the monastery was closed. All the treasures and relics preserved in it were requisitioned. Since 1923, a special purpose camp was located in the historical building, and later the historical monastery was converted into a prison. The cultural status of the monastery was restored only in 1967, when the Solovetsky Museum-Reserve was founded.
In 1990, an equally significant event for the monastery took place - the revival of monastic life, until now the monastery is active. Currently, the historical architectural ensemble is located on four islands. In addition to a beautiful monastery, travellers will have an opportunity to see on the archipelago several ancient cross crosses, preserved to this day churches and cathedrals. The monastery itself occupies a vast territory with preserved temples, residential and household buildings, which are interconnected by a very convenient system of covered passages. Next - Vladimir-Suzdal White Monuments
Kizhi Pogost, Russia
Vladimir-Suzdal White Monuments, Russia
» Besovets Airport PES - in 357 km