Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport is owned by the city of New Orleans. The distance between Downtown New Orleans and the air terminal makes up 19 km. The air terminal started functioning as a commercial facility after World War II, in 1946. It was originally named Moisant Field after the aviator John Moisant, who died in an airplane crash on the agricultural land where the airport was later built. The airport was last renamed in 2001, in honour of the famous jazz musician Louis Armstrong, who came from New Orleans.
Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport operates two runways and two passenger terminal (East and West). Four concourses (A, B, C, and D) serve as lounges. The airport services 12 million people every year and operates passenger flights to the following destinations: Canada, the Dominican Republic, Mexico, the Republic of Panama, Great Britain, and Germany. It also handles domestic flights.
The airport is connected to the city by bus routes 202 (Airport Express Route) and E-2 (Jefferson Transit bus). Bus and taxi stops are placed in front of the main entrance to the terminals, opposite the short-term parking garage. Transport network companies Uber and Lyft are authorized to operate at the airport. Limousine services are available in the designated parking lot.