Kauno pilis was built in the 14th century. At that time this was a large guardian spot. The castle was ambushed a number of times during the Battle of Grunwald. In 1655 it was completely destroyed by Russian troops. Today only one remaining tower and a part of the castle’s wall remind tourists of this crucially important strategic object. Besides the castle there are several medieval buildings in the city. The most notable of them are Town Hall built in the 16th century, House of Perkunas made of red bricks. Once this place was owned by Artel of Merchants. Among the religious sights of this place we should definitely mention the Church of the Holy Trinity and Witowd Kostel. Both churches were built in the 15th century.
Besides the fact Žaliakalnio district is considered a new part of the city, the majority of buildings there were made in the beginning of the 20th century. In 1931 here was opened a funicular. It works up to our days. Make a walk on the central Laisves Street and you will see numerous wonderful fountains and visit the most popular cultural facility of the city – Museum of Deuces. The museum exhibits a large collection of items that are connected with black magic and evil spirits. This facility is quite strange, but it is traditionally popular among European and Russian tourists.
This article about Kaunas is written by the orangesmile.com editorial team and is protected by the copyright law. The article can only be re-used with a direct link to www.orangesmile.com