Plein Square. Mauritshuis.
In the 13th century Plein was a large and beautiful garden named Graven Kooltuin. It was located right behind the Knights' Hall. In the 16th century the garden lost its beauty and glory because of numerous wars. It was abandoned until 1600, when prince Maurits ordered to turn it into a flower garden. In the 17th century this territory was sold and building works started there. First, it was planned to build up the whole area, but Governor Frederic Hendric objected this idea. He wanted to create something innovate, like in Paris - it had to be a quadrangular square, surrounded by houses. Though, as the time passed, the original buildings were changed for the new ones, but the square has kept its primordial shape. In the centre of it you will see the monument dedicated to William of Orange.
The former hotel Logement van Amsterdam is one of the largest edifices in Plein Square. It was built in the 18th century. The hotel was the place, where visitors from Amsterdam used to stay. In the 18th century the welfare of Amsterdam was growing, and so the bigger number of visitors came to the city. This made the hotel a prosperous and growing business.