Travel Reservations - OrangeSmile Tours
Best destinations around the world - Travel Guide

Find the right hotel

Hotel Business News and Analytics
Important! This article is written by orangesmile.com editors and is protected by copyright law. The article can only be re-used with a direct link to www.orangesmile.com

Tourism Income in Turkey Adds 30.1% in Q2 2018

News The second quarter of 2018 was exceptionally good for hotels in Turkey as they managed to achieve a significant growth in tourism income of 30.1%. With such a boost, the total income reached US$7 billion 44 million. The money is scattered among all organizations and services in one way or another connected with tourism, excluding GSM roaming and marina services. The vast majority of the income was obtained from foreign guests (84.7%), and the remaining 15.3% were from Turkish citizens who live abroad.

The sum mentioned above includes both individual and package tours. Here it is important to mention that individual tours are far more popular than group ones. The total contribution of individual expenditures estimates US$5 billion 463 million, while the income from group tours only reached US$1 billion 580 million. Hotels in Istanbul traditionally attract the majority of visitors, but may holidaymakers only choose resort destinations of the country.

Interestingly, Turkish citizens who live abroad spend more when they return to their motherland than foreign guests who visit the country. The average expenditure of the first group reached US$885 per capita while the average expenditure of overseas tourists reached US$602 per capita. The number of departing visitors is growing as well. Their number added 24.9% during the second quarter of 2018 compared to Q2 2017, reaching the solid result of 11 million 67 thousand people. Out of these people, 89% of visitors were foreign and the remaining 11% were Turkish citizens living abroad.

Tourists from Turkey were also more active in spending more money during their travel. The total expenditure of this group added 19% in the second quarter of 2018 and reached US$1 billion 650 million. Turkish tourists prefer to travel individually as the spending of group and tours packages accounts only for US$228 million from the sum mentioned above.

That said, even though the spending of Turkish tourists was growing, fewer people visited foreign countries during the second quarter of 2018. The decrease estimated 4.4% if compare the results to the same period of 2017. In total, 2 million 194 thousand Turkish tourists traveled abroad during the second quarter of 2018. The average expenditure reached US$752 per capita.


Previous article / Back to news index

Stay in touch with the latest news of a worldwide hotel industry. All up-to-date analytics, reports, and news about hotel business trends on OrangeSmile.com.

Our travel services
 Car Rental
Car Hire Worldwide
 News in languages
 Top 10 destinations
558 hotels
143 hotels
85 hotels
65 hotels
57 hotels
287 hotels
71 hotels
63 hotels
43 hotels
338 hotels