In the medieval time, many defense installations were built in the city. The only remaining part of the city wall is the gates of St. Charles. They were built in 1570 for monastery priests. Through these gates, they could pass not facing with citizens. There were many serious conflicts between the abbey and the inhabitants of the city back then. Now, the ancient gate harmoniously fits into the city landscape. You can see a few old buildings and symbolic monuments nearby.
The most beautiful architectural monument is the Church of St. Lawrence. The very first church in its place was built in the 12th century. For many years, it remained not only religious, but political, and a cultural center. The exact date of the construction of the church which is seen today is unknown. The first written mention of it dates back to 1225. At the beginning of the 16th century, a beautiful organ, which is considered its main decoration, was established there.
In the vicinity of the city, travelers can visit ancient Rapperswil castle. It got its name in honor of the first owners, representatives of a noble family. The erection of the castle began in 1220 and lasted 10 years. Despite the solid age, the fortress was perfectly preserved to our days. It is located in a very beautiful suburban area. Next to the castle, popular pedestrian routes start. The most spectacular photos of the historical monument can be done in summer. At this time of the year, part of its facade is ivy-covered.