46. If you see a patrol car with the car horn turned on behind your auto, it should be considered as a request to stop, and not as a request to clear the road for the patrol. Follow the standard scenario in this case - stop the car on the side of the road, lower the side window and wait for a police officer with your hands on the steering wheel.
47. All fines are paid only in the bank. In no case should drivers try to offer to pay a fine to a cop. In this case, proving that the driver didn’t intend to give a bribe would be almost impossible.
48. It should be noted that the local police treats foreign guests with great gentleness and respect. Police officers are irreplaceable helpers on popular roads for travelers. They will always provide a full consultation on all questions and will help to deal with all kinds of problems.
49. The permitted speed in residential areas, regardless of the state, is 35 mph. There is also a strict speed limit close to schools and other children's institutions - 15 mph.
50. Drivers, who are caught drunk, are due to severe fines. Open bottles with alcohol also cannot be transported inside a car – you will be fined for that. In order to avoid trouble, it is better to move alcohol to the trunk.
51. A large part of highways has six lanes - three lanes in each direction. The right lane is the "slowest" one, and the least loaded lane is the left one.
52. The easiest way to leave a highway is to move to the right lane. According to an unspoken rule, local drivers will always make way for a car that is going to make a maneuver. If you are about to leave a highway from the side exit, do not forget to turn on the left-turn signal.
If you need a car with an automatic transmission, it is recommended to book it in advance. Cars with automatic transmissions are often sparse in USA, so the rental confirmation may take a longer period.
When selecting a specific model for traveling throughout USA, we recommend to take into consideration some practical apects. If you are going to drive mostly in the cities, then a car of a small size is preferable, while for long distance trips (and trips in the mountains) we recommend to choose a larger and more powerful car.
Prior your car retrun, please clean the salon from a garbage, and do not forget to take away all your belongings from the passenger compartment.
At the car return time, please ask the officer to make a visual inspection of the vehicle for defects and to sign the acceptance report. Keep the invoice and the acceptance report for next few months.
For a car rental options in USA, we advise you to check OrangeSmile.com actual offers in the orange search form at the top. We guarantee that you would not be able to find better rates anywhere else!
In case of any traffic accident you can be confident that the police and the ambulance will arrive in the shortest time possible (almost all highways are equipped with surveillance cameras). If you need to get help, simply dial the 911 phone.
54. In case of a car accident all the formalities are carried out relatively fast. Once the protocol is filled, the drivers exchange contact numbers of their insurance companies. It should be noted that receiving insurance coverage also does not take much time.
55. Finding a free parking space in a big city is very difficult, so underground parking has become a true relief for motorists. After parking a car, remember the number of the selected slot. The number will help to find your car quickly, when there will be a need to pick it up.
56. In general, the most expensive parking is located in the central part of cities. The cost of one hour here will vary from US$5 to US$15. All payments are made at the parking lot exit by using a special machine. The cost of an hour of parking away from the central part of a city can be about US$1.
57. Some roads are also equipped with parking spaces. You can easily identify them by the presence of special slots. After parking a car, you should put the right amount of coins in the slot and start the timer, it will start the countdown backwards. Many cars leave parking spaces before their time runs out, leaving plenty of time for other drivers.
58. Parking should be done very carefully. Do not cross boundary lines. There are large fines in some cities even for a careless parking. Standing on a boundary line is also considered a violation of traffic rules.
59. Drivers get special points for every violation of traffic regulations. When a driver scores 12 points, his/her driving license is cancelled. Different types of violations correspond to a different number of points. Serious violations can score 5-6 points.
60. It is prohibited to speak over the cellphone while driving. This is also considered one of the most serious violations. If you cannot miss an important call, make sure to use a headset.
61. If the police offers to take an alcohol test, in no case should one reject. Otherwise, there’s a risk of losing a driver's license for one year. Even if the test result is positive, and such violation is committed by a driver for the first time, it will cause the cancellation of the driving license for 90 days.
In the case of a car accident, even if it is a minor one, one cannot leave the site. It is important to wait for the police patrol and tell them your contact information.
63. All the fines issued by the police must be paid on time. A delay of even one day can cause the losing of a driving license. Even if the fine was not presented by the police in person, but simply attached to the windshield of a car, it cannot be ignored.
64. Children under 5 years can be transported in special chairs only with fully fastened seatbelts.
65. People, who enjoy riding through scenic landscapes, should pay attention to the fast highway 515 that starts in the suburbs of Las Vegas. The highway slowly merges with the road 93. If you move on it without any turns, you can get to a picturesque valley and see the famous Hoover Dam.
66. One can leave his/her car in one of the local parking areas in Nevada (the cost of parking is about US$7) or Arizona (there are free parking areas). There is a park in Nevada next to the Museum of the Dam. The price already includes the cost of parking and a museum excursion.
67. The road 64 leads to Grand Canyon Park (more precisely, to its south part). Entering its territory is not free and costs around US$20. Inside the park it is possible to move freely in a car. There are even parking areas next to the most interesting and picturesque canyons.
68. It is also possible to drive to the northern part of the canyon by the road 67, but it is open to motorists only during the warm period of a year. In winter the road is covered with snow, so it is available for use only 6 months a year.