12. If the blood alcohol content is more than 0.8 ppm, the offender will have to pay the fine of 600 euro, and he will be allowed to drive his vehicle again 6 hours later. The abovementioned sum of money must be paid on the spot, otherwise the case will be submitted to court, and the sum of the fine will be increased to 12,000 euro. The suspension of the driving license for the period of up to 2 years can be imposed as an additional punishment.
13. Drivers with the driving experience of less than two years should be extremely cautious when consuming alcoholic beverages. There are no fines for this category of drivers. If you are caught driving under influence, your case will be submitted to court.
14. While driving, it is prohibited to use a cell phone if it is not equipped with a special «Hands Free» device. You should also not forget that the driver and passengers must always fasten seat belts. If a passenger did not fasten a seatbelt, the driver will be responsible for that violation.
When choosing a car for your Belgium trip, don’t forget to check and compare the franchise amount (indicated in the rental conditions) for all cars considered in your selection. The franchise may vary from 200 to 2000 euro/dollars even for cars of the same class. A thorough comparison will allow you to choose the option with the lowest franchise.
During your booking, we will offer you to take a full coverage of the franchise ('No Risk' or 'No Excess' package). If you book a car without full coverage, it is recommended to take it at the pick-up time - this will substantially reduce your financial liability in Belgium for the whole rental period.
During your car pick-up in Belgium, do not forget to check what to do in breakdown-, accident- or theft-cases. Most of our offers include 'Breakdown Assistance' package. Besides this, every rental office would be happy to assist you with this package.
Prior to the car return, please check your voucher for the fuel conditions. If it is indicated that a driver shall return the car with a full tank, do not forget to refuel it on the way back, this will save you from additional charges at the rental office.
If you are looking for a car hire in Belgium, we advise you to check OrangeSmile.com actual rental offers. Just use the orange search form at the top. We guarantee that you would not be able to find better rates anywhere else!
If you plan to travel by car with children, and their height is less than 135 cm, you should equip the car with the system of special belts. Young children should be carried in a special chair that can be installed on the back seat of the car only.
16. Drivers are recommended to drive with low beams always turned on. Low beams must necessarily be turned in case of adverse weather conditions, in tunnels, and while driving on a highway or an autobahn.
17. There are certainly many parking lots in each city of the country. The type of the parking lot can be detected by the color of its marking. On parking lots marked with red or green it is possible to leave a car for no more than 2 hours. If the parking lot is marked with orange, you can leave a car there for 4 hours.
18. Literally all the parking lots are equipped with special parking machines that are used to pay for parking. Once you pay, you will receive a parking ticket. The ticket should be placed in a prominent place on the windshield.
19. The cost of parking services depends on the location of the parking lot and the time of the day. In the daytime one hour of parking usually costs from 1 to 2.5 euro. If you want to park your car for a longer period, it is recommended to use the services of public parking lots. As a rule, the cost of one hour of parking at such lots is 2 - 3 euro per hour.
When choosing a place to park, you should pay particular attention to the sign in the form of a red triangle (Axe Rouge). These signs are usually installed on busy streets. The road sign means that it is not permitted to park cars there in the period from 07:00 to 09:30 and from 16:00 to 18:00.
21. When leaving your car at a parking lot, even for several minutes, make sure you lock the doors and close all the windows. If you leave a side window open, you can get a fine of 50 euro. Drivers are not allowed to leave doors or windows open.
22. All roads in the country are free to use. Payment can be charged only for using some tunnels. The cost of using toll road sections depends on the size of the vehicle, or rather, on its height.
23. Liefkenshoek tunnel is a paid one. Its length estimates 1.37 km. The tunnel runs under the River Scheldt, and it is a part of the R2 road that is laid near Antwerp. The toll for vehicles, the height of which is less than 2.75m, is approximately 4.7 euro. The toll for higher vehicles is approximately 16.9 euro.