Travel Reservations - OrangeSmile Tours
Best destinations around the world - Travel Guide

Find the right hotel

Hotel Business News and Analytics
Important! This article is written by orangesmile.com editors and is protected by copyright law. The article can only be re-used with a direct link to www.orangesmile.com

New Cancellation Policy by IHG

News In line with the recent changes in the industry, IHG also decided to change their cancellation policy. Starting from July (August or September in some locations) all clients of IHG hotels can cancel their bookings 24 hours before the planned check-in.

A similar policy appeared in other famous hotel companies that can be called competitors for IHG. Hilton and Marriott have already announced their changes. Since recently, both the companies grant their clients a 48-hour cancellation policy. IHG, in their turn, want to offer “higher flexibility” to their customers, but at the same time maintain offer certainty for hotel owners.

There will be an ultimate rule for all hotels managed by the internationally famous company. According to IHG, previously the rules varied depending on the region and hotel brand. However, that was changed. Now, customers are allowed to cancel their reservations one day before the arrival. If guests don’t make it in time and less than 24 hours before the reservation time are left, a cancellation fee will be implied to the order.

The new rule will concern all hotels managed by IHG. The implementation time is different and depends on the region. IHG hotels in Europe were the first ones to get the new option – the cancellation policy came into force on July 28. Last week, on August 4, the new rule became valid for IHG hotels in Americas. Finally, by the end of September, the 48h cancellation policy will start working for hotels in the Middle East, Africa, and Asia.

There are, however, some exceptions to the new rule. For example, all Kimpton Hotels and Restaurants will keep their 48-hour cancellation policy. The hotelier will make no changes about that. The cancellation of Reward Nights will also be not adjusted and will remain the same as it is now. IHG also announced special conditions for Greater China region. Nearly 85% of IHG managed hotels already have a same-day cancellation policy. The remaining 15% hotels have different policies that require clients to cancel bookings from one to nine days in advance in order to escape fees.


Previous article / Back to news index

Stay in touch with the latest news of a worldwide hotel industry. All up-to-date analytics, reports, and news about hotel business trends on OrangeSmile.com.

Our travel services
 Car Rental
Car Hire Worldwide
 News in languages
 Top 10 destinations
107 hotels
81 hotels
40 hotels
252 hotels
384 hotels
109 hotels
Oklahoma C.
45 hotels
P-to Vallarta
45 hotels
300 hotels
44 hotels