Travel Reservations - OrangeSmile Tours
Best destinations around the world - Travel Guide

Find the right hotel

Hotel Business News and Analytics
Important! This article is written by editors and is protected by copyright law. The article can only be re-used with a direct link to
All news:

European tourists travelled more often in 2010, but paid less

News According to the data provided by ITB World Travel Trends Report, in 2010 Europeans made more travels, but the trips were shorter and, thus, cheaper. The results vary slightly comparing to the previous year as for first 8 months of 2010 the increase in the number of travels estimated 1% and the drop in the number of room nights and total spending dropped to 2% and 3% subsequently. As the second part of the year showed a little higher growth, the experts forecast the whole-year increase in the number of trips of 2%.

Even though in 2010 Europeans took shorter trips, the number of long-distance travels grew comparing to short-distance ones and car rides. The number of air travelling increased to 2% and water cruises showed the biggest rise of a tremendous 10%.

In 2010 the average length of long-distance trips estimated eight nights, which is 7% shorter than in 2009. Together with this in 2010 the number of short-term trips (from 1 to 3 nights) increased to 10%. In 2010 Europeans spent 4% less on their holidays comparing to 2009, with an average cost of a trip estimating 874 Euro.

Among all European travelers the most active were tourists from the Nordic countries. They were travelling 8% more often than in 2009. Tourists from France, Italy, Spain and Germany showed a small increase and the United Kingdom travellers visited foreign countries 6% less often than in 2009.

For 2011 the situation is told to stay almost the same and the expected growth for this year is 1-2%. As the biggest part of Europeans (65%) is still under the influence of the financial crisis, it’s hard to forecast a bigger growth.

Previous article / Back to news index

Stay in touch with the latest news of a worldwide hotel industry. All up-to-date analytics, news, and reports about hotel business trends on

Our travel services
 Car Rental
Car Hire Worldwide
 News in languages
 Top 20 destinations
98 hotels
67 hotels
49 hotels
41 hotels
Ko Samui
226 hotels
104 hotels
95 hotels
Puerto / Cruz
58 hotels
178 hotels
36 hotels