44. Many local roads simply have no "zebra crossing" marking that is so common in many countries. Instead of it, pedestrian crossings are marked with bright yellow signs with a picture of feet in motion. This is one of those types of road signs, the meaning of which is clear and without any explanation to both motorists and pedestrians.
45. In addition to road signs, there are large electronic scoreboards near some highways. These boards work on solar batteries. As a rule, they display all kinds of useful information, staring from the plan of road works and the amount of penalties to various advertisements.
46. In most cases, country roads have only two lanes, but traffic jams are rare in them. There are special pockets along each road that drivers can use to overtake or make a short stop in case of a breakdown or other emergency situations.
47. Busy roads are well-lighted, so travelling on them is very comfortable even at night. The control over the implementation of the road rules at night is as strict as in the daytime, so it is not recommended to ignore the traffic regulations even on deserted roads.
48. All the petrol stations are equipped with special electronic signs that indicate the cost of one liter of petrol of each type. Many foreign visitors get scared when they see three-digit prices, indicated on these signs. The reason is that in Australia the cost of a liter of fuel is traditionally indicated in cents.
49. If within the city borders the cost of fuel is almost the same in various petrol stations, on country roads the prices usually vary significantly. Any petrol station provides drivers with a range of additional services. It is possible to pump up tires free of charge and wash the windshield with special brushes with soap and water.
If you need a car with an automatic transmission, it is recommended to book it in advance. Cars with automatic transmissions are often sparse in Australia, so the rental confirmation may take a longer period.
When selecting a specific model for traveling throughout Australia, we recommend to take into consideration some practical apects. If you are going to drive mostly in the cities, then a car of a small size is preferable, while for long distance trips (and trips in the mountains) we recommend to choose a larger and more powerful car.
Prior your car retrun, please clean the salon from a garbage, and do not forget to take away all your belongings from the passenger compartment.
At the car return time, please ask the officer to make a visual inspection of the vehicle for defects and to sign the acceptance report. Keep the invoice and the acceptance report for next few months.
For a car rental options in Australia, we advise you to check OrangeSmile.com actual offers in the orange search form at the top. We guarantee that you would not be able to find better rates anywhere else!
The tourists, who visit Australia for the first time, are recommended to install a car navigator. During first several days, foreign drivers, who are not accustomed to left driving, will find it difficult to monitor the road and control the route simultaneously.
51. Roundabouts are widespread in major cities of the country. Local drivers, who already move in the circle and have the advantage, usually slow down and give way to cars that wait to enter the circle.
52. In Melbourne, there is special rule that concerns streets with tram rails. It is possible to turn right only from the extreme left lane on such streets. Before making the maneuver, it is important to wait until all the cars that move straight pass your car by.
53. A large number of trucks is one of distinctive features of Australian roads. Towing vehicles with 3 - 4 huge trailers can be seen both in major cities and on country roads. Overtaking such a huge vehicle is not an easy task.
54. All toll road sections are located in major cities. Moving between cities is always free, regardless of the road. Moreover, all toll roads are duplicated by free roads, so motorists can always choose what road to drive.
55. Toll road sections are marked with red or purple color in all maps, and free roads are marked with green. However, a ride on a toll-free road usually takes a little longer than a ride on a toll road.
56. If you had driven to a toll road accidently, you should leave it as soon as possible. Such an action will certainly be considered a violation, however, the fine for it will be relatively small (a few minutes of driving will cost you approximately 10 - 15 dollars instead of 77 – the fine for driving on the entire toll road section without paying).
57. If there is no urgent need to go to the center of the city by car, it is better to use public transport. This way you will save not only money (parking in the center is always quite expensive), but also your time that you would certainly have wasted searching for a free parking space.
58. Drivers, who plan to use car parking areas equipped with ticket machines, should get enough coins in small denominations in advance - ticket machines do not give change. It is also worth considering that the maximum parking time in many parking areas is limited, so it is important to keep track of time.
The situations, when ticket machines break down in local parking areas and it is not possible to use them to pay for services, are not rare. In this case you need to park the car and immediately call the number indicated on the sign to inform the operator about the breakdown. In such situations, the rights of drivers are never violated, and if a parking lot has free spaces, it is permitted to leave cars.
60. Quite often in such situations, parking lot staff is not aware of the ticket machine breakdown. If one of the operators wants to issue a fine, then you need to explain the situation calmly and say that the telephone line operator has been already notified. No penalties can be imposed in such situation.
61. Drivers, who enjoy riding in the countryside, should not forget that there are a lot of protected areas in Australia. Entering their territory is often paid. Moreover, drivers are often not allowed to stop cars on the roadside or park them in the first convenient place. Driving rules that operate in a particular area in the countryside are better to be specified in advance.
62. There are special service areas along major highways. It is permitted to use these areas to park cars for free for an unlimited time. Such service areas are always equipped with a toilet and a store. Drivers often stop there at night to have rest.
63. If you enjoy riding in picturesque areas, a trip on the Great Ocean Road will certainly leave many unforgettable impressions. It starts in the suburb of Geelong and stretches to Portland. There is an incredible number of natural and historical attractions, towns and villages along the road.
64. The Urulu road is considered one of the most beautiful roads in the world. It is located in the northern part of the country. The road has received its name in honor of the incredibly beautiful cliff of red-orange color. The road is laid close to this internationally famous attraction.