Preparing your trip to York: advices & hints - things to do and to obey
1. The most convenient way to call to other cities and countries is to use payphones, which can be found in every major street of the city. These phones are operated by plastic cards that can be purchased in any newsstand.
2. Guests of the city are recommended to purchase clothing and jewelry in specialized stores only. In this case you can be sure that the product you buy is not a fake.
3. The most expensive prices are set in the restaurants dedicated to the national cuisine. Therefore, budget travelers are recommended to visit numerous pubs and cafes, the selection of dishes in which is also very decent.
4. Many hotels are equipped with bathrooms that are different from the usual. They have separated taps for hot and cold water. This is done to save water. Mixer taps are usually installed in new and luxury hotels.
6. York is considered a very calm and quiet city. One can easily walk through the main streets of the city even late at night. In crowded areas travellers should not forget to be vigilant and monitor their personal belongings closely.
7. The locals are very friendly and are always willing to help. The only rule that should be followed when dealing with the local people is to be polite. A sincere smile and words of gratitude are more valuable than any awards here.
Your active city break in York. Attractions, recreation and entertainment - best places to spend your day and night here
York will surprise its guests not only by beautiful historic buildings, but also by a rich choice of beautiful parks. The city literally dives in greenery. Here tourists will find both … Open
9. Before you go to have some rest in one of the local parks, make sure to specify what area of the park is designed for this type of recreation. In some parks visitors are allowed to sit on the lawn, while others can charge a penalty for this violation.
10. Smokers should pay particular attention to signs as smoking in all public places is prohibited. However, there are specially designated areas for smokers close to all public institutions, trading and entertainment complexes, and restaurants.
Preparing your trip to York: advices & hints - things to do and to obey You can re-publish this content with mandatory attribution: direct and active hyperlink to www.orangesmile.com.
What to visit being in York - unique sights
Pont de SignFrom the series “The Most Unusual and Strange Bridges on Earth”
Check on the map: Distance from York center - 51.5 km.The author of the original art installation is the famous painter from France Olivier Grossetete. For several years, Tatton Park has served as a venue for various competitions dedicated to landscape art. The bridge of the monkeys was presented to the competition in 2012. Only at first sight does the construction seem very simple and primitive. The organizers of the project have made a lot of effort to balance the bridge and the helium balloons. The construction was placed on the territory of the Japanese Garden. … Read further
Howard CastleFrom the series “The Most Elegant Buildings of Baroque Architecture”
Check on the map: Distance from York center - 21.4 km.In 1940 the state home has suffered from the fire. Thanks to the help of skilful architects, it was rebuilt as soon as possible. Today the greatest country’s palace is open for visitors. It houses the unique collection of paintings that includes Michelangelo works. The palace is usually used for cultural meetings. The luckiest tourists can become guests at a Victorian tea-party. … Read further
City tours, excursions and tickets in York and surroundings
Photos of York
Travelling to York - advices and tips. What should be provisioned in advance, the rules you might want to follow, and the things you better avoid doing in York. We help you to make your trip smooth and easy, with no unexpected surprises.