Preparing your trip to Ticino: advices & hints - things to do and to obey
1. Those who expect to travel through the territory of the canton by car have to consider that there are pedestrian areas in many towns. Be careful while moving around mountain areas, as roads are mostly very narrow and winding.
2. The main form of public transport in Ticino is bus. The fare around the town is usually little more than 1 Swiss franc; the fare of intercity buses depends on the distance traveled. In general, traveling with public transport is quite profitable and comfortable.
3. Travelers who arrive at the train station of Lugano have to consider several important features. The station is located on a high hill; the top of it is connected with the base with funicular. It won’t be difficult to get to the foot of the hill, but climbing back to the train station is quite hard; you can comfortably lift using funicular for just 1.1 franc.
4. Foreign visitors are recommended to pay for goods and services in Swiss francs. Some hotels, restaurants and shops accept euros, but such services aren’t provided by all organizations. You can exchange money at any bank or private exchange office.
6. Take into account that a significant part of public places and banks don’t work on Saturday and Sunday. If you need to exchange currency urgently, you can use services of private exchange offices. They work seven days a week and can be found literally at all stations.
7. The tourist information office in Ticino deserves the highest praise. You can find tourist offices in almost all cities; the main office is located on the waterfront of Lugano. There are city maps and brochures describing attractions of different languages in tourist centers.
Your active city break in Ticino. Attractions, recreation and entertainment - best places to spend your day and night here
The mild climate makes Ticino attractive for recreation literally all year round. Fans of water sports, which have long chosen local lakes, arrive to this canton in summer months. It is a … Open
Preparing your trip to Ticino: advices & hints - things to do and to obey You can re-publish this content with mandatory attribution: direct and active hyperlink to www.orangesmile.com.
What to visit being in Ticino - unique sights
Verzasca DamFrom the series “Thrilling Points for Bungee Jumping”
Check on the map: Distance from Ticino center - 15.5 km.In recent years, the jump price is around 255 Swiss francs at the time of the day. Tourists who want to jump in the night will pay a bit more. Verzasca is considered to be the purest river on Earth. The water is so pure that the view can reach 15 meters. This remarkable area is fabulous, especially in the spring, when the hills surrounding the river are lush with vegetation and flowers. … Read further
Borromeo PalaceFrom the series “The Most Wonderful Castles and Palaces”
Check on the map: Distance from Ticino center - 52.8 km.A unique feature of the beautiful palace, hidden behind its unobtrusive walls, is the unique interiors, which include the rare marble and wood varieties, gold and precious stones. Throne Hall is considered to be the most magnificent, and in the Gobelinsaal you can see the unique masterpieces of Flemish art embroidered with gold. On the lower floor of the building are the unique shell caves decorated with the natural stalactites and shells of the whimsical forms. Isola Bella Island and the wonderful Palace have served as a venue for classical music concerts for several years. … Read further
City tours, excursions and tickets in Ticino and surroundings
Photos of Ticino
Travelling to Ticino - advices and tips. What should be provisioned in advance, the rules you might want to follow, and the things you better avoid doing in Ticino. We help you to make your trip smooth and easy, with no unexpected surprises.