Preparing your trip to Rotterdam: advices & hints - things to do and to obey
1. Despite the fact that the use of soft drugs is allowed in Rotterdam, sale and use of strong drugs is punishable by law.
2. You should greet others in public places (stores, banks, restaurants and subway wagons) - these are the local rules of etiquette.
3. It’s not recommended to wear clothes made of fur and leather for your walk in Rotterdam. In this city there are quite a lot of people who actively protect animal rights, so your look can cause many negative emotions and thoughts.
4. Dancing is not common in local restaurants and cafes. As a rule, tips are included in the bill and their usual size estimates around 10 - 15% of the total order.
6. Local people can be distinguished by dining very late. This is the reason why so many restaurants open only after 18:00.
7. While preparing for the trip, you should take into account that the voltage in Rotterdam is 220 V, so make sure you check the compatibility of all electrical appliances. Some hotels may have special sockets for electric shavers, the voltage in which is 110 V.
Rotterdam can offer its guests widest choice of interesting excursions and entertainments. Many attractions are located in the port area. From an architectural point of view the so called … Open
9. Bicycle is a popular type of public transportation here. You can easily reach any area of the city with its help. You can easily rent a bicycle in one of numerous rental offices that are located in any part of the city. Typically, the highest prices for bike rental are in the offices that are adjacent to hotels.
Preparing your trip to Rotterdam: advices & hints - things to do and to obey You can re-publish this content with mandatory attribution: direct and active hyperlink to www.orangesmile.com.
What to visit being in Rotterdam - unique sights
MadurodamFrom the series “Famous Miniature Museums of Architectural Objects and Cities”
Check on the map: Distance from Rotterdam center - 23.3 km.Madurodam received its name in honour of the famous student from Curacao George Maduro, who sacrificed his life in fight against the Nazi occupying forces. The initiators of the construction of the park were parents of the deceased student. For many years after the opening, all the proceeds of Madurodam were transferred to charitable purposes. The park of miniatures actively cooperates with various youth and charitable organizations nowadays. For tourists, Madurodam is a great opportunity to see the iconic sights of Holland in one place. The beautiful Royal Palace, the Mauritshuis Museum, the modern Schiphol Airport and the Rijksmuseum are just a few of the realistic mock-ups available for study. … Read further
Keukenhof Flower ParkFrom the series “Top 16 Most Unusual and Original Parks and Gardens”
Check on the map: Distance from Rotterdam center - 39.2 km.In the 40s of the last century, manufacturers and exporters of flowers had an idea to create an original theme park that would serve as a visual exposition of the offered goods. The official opening of the park took place in 1950. For many years, hyacinths, daffodils and even Japanese sakura were planted there in addition to tulips. The lush open-air exhibition of flowers has become a tradition. Over the years, the scale of the park gradually increased, and its structure became more amazing and diverse. … Read further
City tours, excursions and tickets in Rotterdam and surroundings
Photos of Rotterdam
Travelling to Rotterdam - advices and tips. What should be provisioned in advance, the rules you might want to follow, and the things you better avoid doing in Rotterdam. We help you to make your trip smooth and easy, with no unexpected surprises.