Preparing your trip to Rotterdam: advices & hints - things to do and to obey
1. Despite the fact that the use of soft drugs is allowed in Rotterdam, sale and use of strong drugs is punishable by law.
2. You should greet others in public places (stores, banks, restaurants and subway wagons) - these are the local rules of etiquette.
3. It’s not recommended to wear clothes made of fur and leather for your walk in Rotterdam. In this city there are quite a lot of people who actively protect animal rights, so your look can cause many negative emotions and thoughts.
4. Dancing is not common in local restaurants and cafes. As a rule, tips are included in the bill and their usual size estimates around 10 - 15% of the total order.
6. Local people can be distinguished by dining very late. This is the reason why so many restaurants open only after 18:00.
7. While preparing for the trip, you should take into account that the voltage in Rotterdam is 220 V, so make sure you check the compatibility of all electrical appliances. Some hotels may have special sockets for electric shavers, the voltage in which is 110 V.
Guests are recommended to make a walk to local restaurants and cafes of the city - many dining facilities here can be considered true gastronomic attractions. The menu of Courzand Café … Open
9. Bicycle is a popular type of public transportation here. You can easily reach any area of the city with its help. You can easily rent a bicycle in one of numerous rental offices that are located in any part of the city. Typically, the highest prices for bike rental are in the offices that are adjacent to hotels.
Preparing your trip to Rotterdam: advices & hints - things to do and to obey You can re-publish this content with mandatory attribution: direct and active hyperlink to www.orangesmile.com.
What to visit being in Rotterdam - unique sights
RotterdamFrom the series “Permanently Sinking Cities and Regions”
Check on the map: Distance from Rotterdam center - 0.8 km.Even in the 16th century on the territory of the Netherlands the first windmills were built for dewatering the lands. However, the storms became harder and harder year by year. If the water will rise even for a meter, Hague, Brugger, Amsterdam and Rotterdam will be fully destroyed. Until the ocean level is relatively stable, specialists can cope with the problems. In the event of the global warming, the situation can be drastically changed. … Read further
ErasmusbrugFrom the series “Unbelievable and Magnificent Bridges and Viaducts”
Check on the map: Distance from Rotterdam center - 1.5 km.The construction of the bridge cost more than 163 million euros. Queen Beatrix took part in the ceremonial opening ceremonies. Since the opening, the bridge has 'an active social and cultural life'. The director and main actor Jackie Chan has the bridge as the shooting location of the series 'Who am I?' Filmes in 1998 was chosen. In 2005 the concert of the world famous DJ Tiesto took place on the background of the beautiful bridge. The Erasmus Bridge is one of the landmarks of modern Rotterdam, connecting the city center with one of the newest and most active districts - Kop van Zuid. … Read further
Photos of Rotterdam
Travelling to Rotterdam - advices and tips. What should be provisioned in advance, the rules you might want to follow, and the things you better avoid doing in Rotterdam. We help you to make your trip smooth and easy, with no unexpected surprises.