Preparing your trip to Reading: advices & hints - things to do and to obey
1. Local shops start working at 9 am or earlier and commonly serve customers till 5-6 pm. Large shopping centers and entertaining malls located in the center of the city accept international credit cards. Tourists opting to visit local markets and shops located far from the city center should have enough cash by themselves to pay for purchases.
2. Museums and other cultural centers start working at 10 am or earlier and work till 5-6 pm. Some of the establishments are free to enter and some of them offer profitable discounts for family visits.
3. The main features of local folks’ character are tactfulness and politeness. However city guests should keep in mind some specific features of behavior of local residents. Entering a shop or another public place it is necessary to greet everybody. Before addressing somebody for help it is important to greet a person as well, moreover one should not forget to thank for any service or piece of advice.
4. Local residents use water rather economically. Thus hotel bathrooms lack mixers and offer small cups for water. It is strongly recommended to learn hotel rules in advance before checking in.
6. Documents and other valuable things are highly recommended to be kept in safe in a hotel room. Going for a walk tourists are recommended to have the passport copy and the hotel card by themselves as it will help to avoid misunderstanding and find a way back to the hotel.
7. The main type of public transport of Reading is a bus, running to all city districts as well as reaching its suburbs. The remarkable sites and landmarks are compactly located in a historic center of the city which is recommended to cross and explore on foot.
In the Middle Ages the city of Reading was a significant political and religious center of the country. In the 12th century an abbey was established on its territory, and it was the most … Open
Preparing your trip to Reading: advices & hints - things to do and to obey You can re-publish this content with mandatory attribution: direct and active hyperlink to www.orangesmile.com.
What to visit being in Reading - unique sights
Bekonscot model villageFrom the series “Famous Miniature Museums of Architectural Objects and Cities”
Check on the map: Distance from Reading center - 28.6 km.In a miniature village an atmosphere of rural England of the early 20th century has accurately been recreated. Here, you can see the old railway, beautiful castles, meadows with windmills and even a coal mine. Trams and trains run on miniature roads. The main feature of the park is a breadboard model of the railway, that has a length of 15 km. It operates in the park since its opening. 12 trains run along the road. Each of which passes more than 3000 km a year. For many years, Baconscot has sent all the proceeds to other parks of miniatures. … Read further
Headington SharkFrom the series “The Most Unusual Statues and Monuments”
Check on the map: Distance from Reading center - 37.9 km.Since its inception, the unusual monument has sparked many contradictions. The residents of the neighbors turned to the municipal authorities several times and asked to get rid of the shark because it spoils the landscape and is dangerous to safety. The inspectors who came to visit the monument in 1992 have confirmed that 'the Headington Hai' does not harmonize with the surrounding landscape. But the monument was not broken off. Today it is one of Oxford's most unusual and famous landmarks. … Read further
Wembley StadiumFrom the series “Top 14 Sport Stadiums with Impressive Design”
Check on the map: Distance from Reading center - 49.1 km.The London stadium still has a distinctive feature. Originally it was built as a possible place for carrying out the athletic competitions. For this, the stadium is equipped with the system of telescopic platforms, with the use of which the number of seats is reduced to 30,000. Until now the stadium has never been used for athletic competitions. The design of the adjacent territory next to Wembley is equally incredibly beautiful. On the square are the fabulous fountains with colorful lighting. At the entrance to the stadium you can see the Bobby Moore monument. … Read further
Photos of Reading
Travelling to Reading - advices and tips. What should be provisioned in advance, the rules you might want to follow, and the things you better avoid doing in Reading. We help you to make your trip smooth and easy, with no unexpected surprises.