Preparing your trip to Manhattan: advices & hints - things to do and to obey
1. Experienced travelers advise to set off to the Manhattan island early spring or autumn as these periods feature the most amiable weather conditions. Summer will spoil the leisure with extreme heat however exactly during the summer period the island celebrates numerous holidays and festivals.
2. Manhattan should better be cruised on foot as it is a perfect way to visit the most significant landmarks and sights. Besides, some central streets are free of city traffic being totally pedestrian areas.
3. The optimum means of public transport is underground. The territory of the Manhattan island can be easily cruised by bus. The underground operates till late night. However tourists are not advised to travel alone by underground after 23.00.
4. Those wishing to rent a car should keep in mind that during the week the roads are rather jammed with vehilces. Reaching the city center by car is almost impossible. Many travelers prefer to leave their vehicles in the remote areas and to reach the city center by underground. Weekends the traffic is not as heavy on the central roads however the jams are quite possible.
6. Drinking of alcohol is allowed for 21 year olds and older thus setting off to a restaurant, bar or a night club young people should have documents of identification. Alcohol and spirits can be bought in specialized stores as well.
7. Manhattan bans smoking in public places. Heavy fines are charged for the ban violation. Close to every shopping and entertaining center, public institution and restaurant one will find specially equipped smoking areas. The price of tobacco goods is rather high. That is why it is reasonable to be backed up with necessary packs of cigs for the tour.
To choose a proper place to eat among numerous restaurants of Manhattan is rather challenging, however there are acknowledged leaders which won the attention and affection of tourists from … Open
9. Photo and video recording is not allowed in some museums and on the territory of some landmarks thus the rules should be specified in advance. Some museums allow photo and video recording at extra cost.
Preparing your trip to Manhattan: advices & hints - things to do and to obey You can re-publish this content with mandatory attribution: direct and active hyperlink to www.orangesmile.com.
What to visit being in Manhattan - unique sights
Brooklyn BridgeFrom the series “Unbelievable and magnificent bridges and viaducts”
Check on the map: Distance from Manhattan center - 1 km.The length of the Brooklyn Bridge is 1 825 meters, two of them are for cars, and the third is intended for pedestrians. A unique history is also associated with the opening of the bridge. The disapproving have spread the rumors that the bridge is uncertain and can collapse at any time. On the day of the opening, when the numerous people were on the bridge, there was a great panic, as the result 12 people were lost. … Read further
Crocodile and Capitalist MonumentFrom the series “The most unusual statues and monuments”
Check on the map: Distance from Manhattan center - 2 km.The unusual monument still has a hidden meaning. It serves as a reminder of the terrible legend, which has been told for more than 50 years among the city dwellers. Many locals believe that the alligators live in the old urban sewage system. The author of this fantastic legend is the writer Robert Daily, who wrote the novel 'World under the City' in the fifties of the last century, whose content impressed the inhabitants of New York. … Read further
Statue of LibertyFrom the series “The most grandiose statues and monuments”
Check on the map: Distance from Manhattan center - 3 km.The statue is located in the Hudson River estuary, on the island of Liberty. The overall height including the pedestal is 93 meters. Liberty Island is incredibly popular as a tourist destination. Visitors can enjoy the great statue not only visually, but also examine it from the inside. To climb to the observation deck, which is located on top of the pedestal, it is necessary to overcome 192 steps. One going up to the crown of the statue has to go through 365 steps. … Read further
Photos of Manhattan
Travelling to Manhattan - advices and tips. What should be provisioned in advance, the rules you might want to follow, and the things you better avoid doing in Manhattan. We help you to make your trip smooth and easy, with no unexpected surprises.