Preparing your trip to Milan: advices & hints - things to do and to obey
1. The most popular means of transport are subway and buses. By using them you can easily get to any place of interest in the city. It should be noted that buses here stop not at all stops. You will need to raise your hand to stop the bus.
2. The majority of religious attractions are not allowed to be visited by tourists during service and lunch break, so before you go you should definitely clarify the convenient time for visiting the shrine of your choice.
3. It’s recommended to leave tips in local restaurants and cafes. The amount of a tip is usually 10% of the total bill. Tips are also welcome in a taxi, but in this case it’s common to round the price up to any convenient amount.
4. The majority of restaurants, banks and other institutions are closed during the daytime – from about 14.00 to 16.00. This is the time the locals call "siesta". It is also recommended to refrain from phone calls during the time of rest.
6. Travelling by subway is very convenient in the city. All stations are located close to each other and there are exits close to all major attractions. Tickets for travelling are available at any newsstand or in special vending machines located next to each station.
7. Those, who want to save money on food, are recommended to go to one of the "Autogrill" coffeehouses for lunch. Here meals are served in a buffet and there are always dishes to suit all tastes at affordable prices. These cafes do not work on evenings.
Italian cuisine is considered one of the most elegant and attractive cuisines in the world. Everyone knows the passion of local people to macaroni and spaghetti, which are prepared in the … Open
Preparing your trip to Milan: advices & hints - things to do and to obey You can re-publish this content with mandatory attribution: direct and active hyperlink to www.orangesmile.com.
Milan guide chapters: Guide intro Family trip with kids Cuisine & restaurants Traditions & lifestyle Culture: sights to visit Attractions & nightlife Tips for tourists Unusual weekend in Milan Extraordinary hotels Stylish design-hotels Luxury accommodation Hotels with history Romantic hotels Shopping in Milan Top sightseeing Architecture & monuments
What to visit being in Milan - unique sights
Duomo di MilanoFrom the series “15 Unofficial Man-Made Wonders of the World”
Check on the map: Distance from Milan center - 0.2 km.The cathedral is so great that it can accommodate up to 40 000 people. About 3 400 beautiful statues decorate a hall. The main symbol and the gem is the golden statue of Madonna, the patron saint of Milan. Paintings on walls and a ceiling of the cathedral require special attention. Some of them were created by the outstanding artist, Simone da Orsenigo. The roof of the cathedral has the great viewing platform that offers a spectacular view of the historic streets of Milan. … Read further
Sauna-TramFrom the series “Most Extraordinary Thermaes, Baths and Saunas in the World”
Check on the map: Distance from Milan center - 0.5 km.Initially, the organizers wanted the sauna-tram to cruise the streets of the city, and its visitors could admire outstanding sights and the most beautiful streets of Milan. City authorities did not approve of such an initiative, and the sauna has been decided to be installed in one of the busiest districts of Milan, close to popular hotels and entertainment venues. … Read further
City tours, excursions and tickets in Milan and surroundings
Photos of Milan
Travelling to Milan - advices and tips. What should be provisioned in advance, the rules you might want to follow, and the things you better avoid doing in Milan. We help you to make your trip smooth and easy, with no unexpected surprises.