Preparing your trip to Lugano: advices & hints - things to do and to obey
1. The main transportation means of the city is a bus. Tickets should be bought in advance in specialized POS terminals, set in the bus stops. The prudent tourists should better buy a day travel pass for telling economy.
2. The only available transport at night is taxi. The car can be either called by phone or taken from a specialized taxi parking lot. Stopping a car in the street is not customary. Even in case of cruising the car will not stop. Despite of every taxi car being equipped with a counter the cost of the trip should better be specified in advance.
3. It is rather convenient to cruise the city by bicycle. Also the cycling tours through piedmont areas are popular among tourists. The best two-wheel transport rental centers are considered to be SFR Railway Station Lugano and Balmelli Sport.
4. Tourists are strongly recommended to go shopping backed with national currency. Currency exchange is available in one of the local banks or in the private currency exchange offices. The currency exchange offices located on the territory of the hotels or in close vicinity to hotels and inns should better be avoided as these offer the most unfavorable exchange rates.
6. Restaurants and cafés have adopted the tipping system. In some upscale establishments the tips are included in the tab. For medium scale restaurants the 10% tipping is quite enough. In the eating houses and cheap cafes one can round up the sum and add 5% of tipping.
7. Many of Lugano entertaining places are seasonal and are open only in warm season. Thus, in summer one can find various open air dance floors and outdoor bars.
The best gastronomy landmark of Lugano is the Principe Leopoldo restaurant. Its chef is a genuine wizard of gastronomic art. Each day the restaurant is visited by hundreds of attached guests … Open
9. Setting off for a walk one should have a copy of an ID document. It should be authenticated in the hotel meanwhile the document in original as well as valuable things should be kept in safe in the hotel room.
Preparing your trip to Lugano: advices & hints - things to do and to obey You can re-publish this content with mandatory attribution: direct and active hyperlink to www.orangesmile.com.
What to visit being in Lugano - unique sights
Duomo di MilanoFrom the series “15 unofficial man-made wonders of the world”
Check on the map: Distance from Lugano center - 62.1 km.No less famous is the Milan Cathedral or Duomo di Milano located in the heart of the historic district. It's considered a shining example of the outstanding architectural style, Flamboyant Gothic. Construction of this cathedral took several hundred years. The process has begun in 1386 and was completed only in the 19th century. The Milan Cathedral is the fifth largest in the world. The spectacular architectural structure is characterized by a variety of spiers and fine sculptures, a complex system of pointed towers and turrets. … Read further
Sauna-TramFrom the series “Most extraordinary thermaes, baths and saunas in the world”
Check on the map: Distance from Lugano center - 61.5 km.In Milan you can also visit an unusual sauna, which has been opened in an old tram. The sauna is quite large and can accommodate up to ten people at a time. Sauna visitors are offered to relax by an unusual event - watching a documentary about the history of trams. A remarkable sauna and unusual location, it was installed on the dead-end branch of the old railway tracks. … Read further
Church of Santa Maria delle GrazieFrom the series “Top 15 UNESCO sites In Europe”
Check on the map: Distance from Lugano center - 61.5 km.The famous Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie is situated in Milan. It was built in the second half of the 15th century. That’s the striking architectural monument of the late Gothic. A unique artifact is hidden within the walls of the medieval church. That’s the famous fresco by Leonardo da Vinci, Last Supper. This mural decorates the refectory of the church. Many amazing stories relate to it. In 1943, Milan has undergone a heavy bombardment of the Anglo-American air force. As a result, the Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie was destroyed almost completely. The refectory also laid in ruins, but the fresco did not suffer miraculously. … Read further
City tours, excursions and tickets in Lugano and surroundings
Photos of Lugano
Travelling to Lugano - advices and tips. What should be provisioned in advance, the rules you might want to follow, and the things you better avoid doing in Lugano. We help you to make your trip smooth and easy, with no unexpected surprises.