Preparing your trip to London: advices & hints - things to do and to obey
1. The majority of shops are closed no later than on 18:00. Only large shopping complexes work on weekends. Weekday morning is the best time for shopping.
2. While going for a walk, do not take much money and valuables with you. On the streets of the city it is recommended to avoid large crowds of people as these are the most favorable places for pickpockets. Camcorders and cameras are best to be worn on a strap over your shoulder or fastened to your belt.
3. Buses remain the most accessible way of getting around the city as taxis in London are quite expensive.
4. Most restaurants include tips in the total bill. As a rule, the tips here range from 10 to 15%. Leaving tips in pubs is not common.
6. Local residents are distinguished by politeness and restraint, so visitors need to reciprocate any sign of attention. In the stores you show greet the seller; make sure you hold the doors when entering or leaving the premises, and if someone helps you, you certainly need to thank.
7. Londoners are very fond of pets, so in any case you should not demonstrate your aversion to cats or dogs publicly.
Oxford Street remains the main shopping street in London. For many years, it has been the biggest and the most loaded trading street in Europe. The number of shops located there is hard to … Open
9. Travelers, who go on vacation with their families, should remember about the possibility to getting attractive discounts. During visits to museums and various cultural activities, travellers are offered to purchase special "family tickets", which can save from 25 to 50% of the full value.
Preparing your trip to London: advices & hints - things to do and to obey You can re-publish this content with mandatory attribution: direct and active hyperlink to www.orangesmile.com.
What to visit being in London - unique sights
Westminster AbbeyFrom the series “The Most Iconic Temples in the World”
Check on the map: Distance from London center - 0.6 km.In the abbey, the tombs of many outstanding men and artists, including Edward I and Henry VII, as well as the outstanding poet Samuel Johnson and Charles Dickens are located. The history of the founding of the abbey of Westmünster begins in 1042, when Edward the Confessor founded the first monastery on the site of the old half-destroyed churches. The crypt of the confessor is still regarded today as one of the main symbols of the Abbey. Since the 13th century, all the kings of England have actively participated in the expansion of the monastery and the perfection of its exterior. … Read further
UriliftFrom the series “Public Toilets, Who Makes it Extravagant”
Check on the map: Distance from London center - 1.2 km.The toilets are controlled by the quarter policeman, who presses the button on the console in the evening and switches on the hydraulic motor. The lift toilets grow from under the ground and remain on the surface until 6 in the morning. Then they go down again. At the time of the day one can only recognize them by means of large round hatches on the ground on the roads. These unusual public toilets are free. However, the women must take into account that these toilets are intended for men only. After setting up the toilets Urilift on London's streets, the neighborhoods were much cleaner with lively nightlife. In the day, this secret is hidden under the earth and does not spoil the harmonious streets. … Read further
Pret a Manger LondonFrom the series “The Most Unusual Restaurants of Fast Food Chains”
Check on the map: Distance from London center - 1.7 km.Fresh soups, salads from organic vegetables, traditional oatmeal and yogurts - such a huge selection of healthy dishes can not be found in any other fast food restaurant. Another attractive feature of restaurants is a quality packaging of dishes, which is very convenient to take with you. Buying dishes to take away, you can save a lot. All guests of London should definitely visit the amazing historical cafe, which manages to maintain its good traditions from the moment of its opening. … Read further
City tours, excursions and tickets in London and surroundings
Photos of London
Travelling to London - advices and tips. What should be provisioned in advance, the rules you might want to follow, and the things you better avoid doing in London. We help you to make your trip smooth and easy, with no unexpected surprises.