Preparing your trip to Lisbon: advices & hints - things to do and to obey
1. Setting out to Lisbon you should be surely backed up with a pair of comfortable shoes. The reason is that the city is placed on seven hills that is why hiking through the wind streets is only possible wearing sport shoes.
2. The public system of city transportation is presented by the underground network, trams and cable railway. For those tourists who are limited in time and crave to hunt the best part of city sights the tram route # 28 will do best. It can be really named as excursion tour as the route goes through the most picturesque spots of the city.
3. Many local museums and galleries offer free entrance once in a week. On the schedule of working hours of cultural and enlightenment establishments as well as the discounts one can inquire in any tourist information service.
4. The city guests should take into account that most stores and public institutions are not operating through the daytime period of 12.00 till 15.00-16.00. Institutions start working rather early in most cases from 8.00 – 8.30 and in the evening hours can still be open till 19.00 – 20.00.
6. If you like the service in a restaurant or a café you should give some cash reward to the waiter. In the restaurant the proper amount of tips is 10% added to the total order sum meanwhile in a small café this cash amount can equal to 5-7% of the total order sum.
7. Though the city is considered to be rather quiet and peaceful the travelers should keep to the basics of cautiousness. You should not set out to the remote areas of the city alone as well as keeping by yourself some precious items.
Local people are rather hot tempered and thus their behavior may seem rather strange to foreign visitors. Peculiar to city folks deliberateness in everything is often approached by visitors … Open
9. Travelers should not reduce their excursions route to the city area only as the suburbs of Lisbon perform the greatest variety of sights and places of tourist interest. For country excursion once can choose Sintra town or visit Belen. These places have daily train connection with Lisbon.
Preparing your trip to Lisbon: advices & hints - things to do and to obey You can re-publish this content with mandatory attribution: direct and active hyperlink to www.orangesmile.com.
What to visit being in Lisbon - unique sights
Elevador de Santa JustaFrom the series “Top 16 Most Exotic Elevators and Lifts in the World”
Check on the map: Distance from Lisbon center - 0.7 km.The imposing elevator was designed by the famous architect and engineer from the turn of the 19th - 20th century Raul Mesner. In 2002 Elevador do Carmo was recognized as a historical monument of national importance. The old elevator is a valuable architectural monument. The interior of the elevator cabins is as impressive as its neo-Gothic shafts. During the last repairs, the spacious cabins were supplemented with glass panels, which made the interiors of the cabins even more interesting. … Read further
Santuario de Cristo ReiFrom the series “The Most Grandiose Statues and Monuments”
Check on the map: Distance from Lisbon center - 5.4 km.The history of the sculpture is quite interesting. The decision to erect the monument was taken in 1940. The statue had to protect Portugal from involvement into World War II. It has been decided to build a monument at people’s expenses. Despite of initial plans, construction of the statue was started in 1949. It's noteworthy that the funds for construction were donated mostly by women. Portugal didn't participate in the hostilities, so women gladly gave a donation for the fact that God had saved their husbands and sons from a bloody war. … Read further
Lisbon OceanariumFrom the series “The Coolest and Largest Oceanariums in the World”
Check on the map: Distance from Lisbon center - 6.2 km.Since its opening, the place has gained the immense popularity among both locals and tourists. Currently, the Lisbon Oceanarium is visited by over a million people each year. There are more than 16 000 marine creatures belonging to 450 different species. The volume of the largest tank is 5 000 cubic meters. It is designed in such a way that creates an illusion of the open ocean. … Read further
City tours, excursions and tickets in Lisbon and surroundings
Photos of Lisbon
Travelling to Lisbon - advices and tips. What should be provisioned in advance, the rules you might want to follow, and the things you better avoid doing in Lisbon. We help you to make your trip smooth and easy, with no unexpected surprises.