Preparing your trip to Leiria: advices & hints - things to do and to obey
1. Leiria is a fairly small city so it's comfortable to explore its attractions and most beautiful places on foot. The main form of public transport is the bus, by which one can get to any area of interest.
2. Keep in mind that some of the old streets are paved with stones. To walk on them, one should definitely wear comfortable sports shoes.
3. When visiting restaurants, guests are immediately served appetizers in most cases. If you try them, the cost of snacks will certainly be fully included in the bill.
4. Fans of outdoor recreation should remember that it is forbidden to make a fire in local parks and natural areas. Making bonfires is only allowed in places with specially equipped sites.
6. In Leiria, credit cards are accepted literally everywhere, even in some forms of public transport. However, those who expect to visit markets and shops in remote areas should stock up on cash.
7. Banks and other public institutions close quite early, usually at 3:00 pm. On pre-holiday days, working hours can be reduced by another 2-3 hours.
Your active city break in Leiria. Attractions, recreation and entertainment - best places to spend your day and night here
In Leiria, travelers have many interesting attractions to explore. They can visit the legendary stadium Estádio Dr. Magalhães Pessoa, which was built specifically for the period of the … Open
9. A large part of the urban population speaks foreign languages, most of them understand English well. To simplify communication with locals, be sure to learn a few simple phrases in Portuguese or take a phrasebook with you.
10. Leiria is located a hundred kilometers from the capital. Fans of excursions can go to Lisbon for a tour or some holiday. The city is connected with the capital by railway and bus services.
11. Bicycle is a common mode of transport in Leiria. Bicycle paths are everywhere, and bike rentals are available to all comers.
12. Beach lovers should take into account that there are no beaches directly within the city. If necessary, the coast can be reached by public transport - buses from Leiria depart to coastal towns quite often.
13. Locals are big enthusiasts of sports entertainment. Most of the sports grounds are free of charge, and next to the main football stadium, there is a free swimming pool with diving towers.
14. Leiria is known for its modern sports infrastructure, so the city often hosts all kinds of sports competitions. On such days, the city is always visited by many tourists who leave no free rooms in local hotels.
15. For fans of event tourism, summer would be the best time to visit the city. In the warm season, music, historical, and art festivals involving special entertainment programs are held here one after another.
Preparing your trip to Leiria: advices & hints - things to do and to obey You can re-publish this content with mandatory attribution: direct and active hyperlink to www.orangesmile.com.
What to visit being in Leiria - unique sights
ObidosFrom the series “The Last City-Fortresses Survived to This Day”
Check on the map: Distance from Leiria center - 53.3 km.For more than a hundred years the fortress is still in the focus of the traveller's interest. On its territory you can find not only historical monuments but also the first historical hotel, dated from the 1950s. Another eye-catching monument is the aquae ductus of the 16th century. Its depth is about 3 thousand meters. The real masterpiece of the ancient architecture is the towns gates. They are original and has been there for more than seven centuries. The traditional white-blue panel Azulejo with Bible motives decorates the Óbidos city gates. … Read further
City tours, excursions and tickets in Leiria and surroundings
Photos of Leiria
Travelling to Leiria - advices and tips. What should be provisioned in advance, the rules you might want to follow, and the things you better avoid doing in Leiria. We help you to make your trip smooth and easy, with no unexpected surprises.