Leeuwarden is a town in Holland. It is also the administrative center of Friesland province. The population of the town estimated 88.7 thousands of people in 1970.
Leeuwarden is an important crossing of railway lines and channels. In this place are well-developed such industries as metal processing and food (mostly milk) industry. In Leeuwarden is also located the University of Economy and Technology.
The modern territory of Leeuwarden was inhabited already in X century (however, newest data received from the excavations proves this town existed already in II century). Leeuwarden got the status of the town only in 1435. As the town had a beneficial location on the Миддельзее River (on the area where the river flows into the sea), Leeuwarden quickly became a large center of trading. However, in XV the river drained and this caused economic decline of the town. During World War II this place was occupied by the Germans.
Among the main sights of Leeuwarden are the building of the former chancery, Kanselarij, the old market of the town named Waag, St. Boniface Church and a falling town Oldehove.
In 1954 in the town was installed the monument devoted to a cow. The foundation of the monument has a craving that is translated as “Our mother” – a short and clear definition of the approach to this animal in Leeuwarden.
Each year a huge domino festival takes place in Leeuwarden. On this day here are set up international records concerning the number of falling domino pieces that feature domino principle. The participants of the event spend days building sequences of domino pieces that than fall. The latest world record was set up in 2009. On that year the number of falling domino pieces was equal to 4 491 863.