Preparing your trip to Jerusalem: advices & hints - things to do and to obey
1. Currency can be exchanged in banks and in specialized exchange offices, which can be found in each district. Exchange offices located at the airport traditionally offer the most favorable exchange rates.
2. Tourists who plan to shop in small private shops and open markets will certainly need money in cash. Supermarkets, shopping malls, restaurants and gas stations usually accept payments by credit cards. Before you make a trip, make sure whether your credit or debit card is valid in the country.
3. Public institutions and shops usually open at 8:30 - 9:00 and work till16:00 - 18:00. Saturday is traditionally a day off, and Friday is usually a short working day that is reduced for a few hours.
4. Tourists should not forget about the general rules of behavior. People cannot express their emotions publicly and behave noisily in public places. When entering a public institution, you should definitely smile and greet the people present.
6. The locals are very responsive and friendly. Tourists can always ask them for help. In order to show respect for the local culture, visitors are recommended to learn a few phrases in the native language. It is worth noting that the local people have long become accustomed to a large number of visitors, so many of them speak different foreign languages fairly well.
7. Tourists should not forget to bargain at markets and in private stores. This will surely help to reduce the price. Experienced travelers say that one should bargain not less than ten minutes. This process has become a kind of a ritual.
Your active city break in Jerusalem. Attractions, recreation and entertainment - best places to spend your day and night here
Jerusalem attracts visitors from different countries by its priceless historical and religious monuments. However, this doesn’t mean that the city lacks entertainment facilities. … Open
9. Workdays (from Sunday to Friday) are distinguished by excellently working public transport. Buses ply in the streets of the city from early morning to late evening. However, tourists should not forget that public transport doesn’t work on Saturdays, so getting to remote areas of the city will be quite problematic.
10. Unlike many other cities, in Jerusalem travelers are allowed to sit on lawn or use borders instead of benches. It’s very common here to see citizens who have sat down to rest directly on the asphalt. Such behavior is considered normal.
Preparing your trip to Jerusalem: advices & hints - things to do and to obey You can re-publish this content with mandatory attribution: direct and active hyperlink to www.orangesmile.com.
What to visit being in Jerusalem - unique sights
JerusalemFrom the series “The Oldest Inhabited Cities on the Planet”
Check on the map: Distance from Jerusalem center - 1.2 km.Jerusalem is interesting for travelers not only as the world's largest religious center, but also as the location of unique historical sites. Most of its priceless historical monuments are concentrated in the Old Town area, which is surrounded by unassailable walls. Many attractions hiding behind unwinnable walls are objects of global importance, including the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, the Wailing Wall and the Temple Mount. These facilities are annually visited by hundreds of thousands of tourists from around the world. … Read further
Church of the Resurrection of ChristFrom the series “The Most Astonishing Orthodox Churches”
Check on the map: Distance from Jerusalem center - 2.6 km.The Anointing Stone and a small cave with the Holy Sepulcher. Every year the Holy Saturday ceremony of the Holy Fire led by the Greek Orthodox Patriarch. Today the main Christian cathedral is a complex religious place that includes several chapels and monasteries. It is important to mention that the cathedral is oriented on three main religion confessions. That’s why its territory is strictly divided. … Read further
Church of Holy SepulchreFrom the series “ Survived Artifacts of Early Christian Civilization”
Check on the map: Distance from Jerusalem center - 2.7 km.The temple features incredibly amazing design. There you can see old icons and artistic painting, which are hundreds of years old. The initiators of the construction of the first temple were the Emperor Constantine and Empress Helen. During more than 16 centuries, the temple has being totally destroyed and rebuilt again. Every year the church is visited by a huge number of pilgrims from around the world. They bow at the shrine and make one of the most important rituals in the Christian religion - climb to Calvary. The staircase leading to its top begins in the temple. … Read further
City tours, excursions and tickets in Jerusalem and surroundings
Photos of Jerusalem
Travelling to Jerusalem - advices and tips. What should be provisioned in advance, the rules you might want to follow, and the things you better avoid doing in Jerusalem. We help you to make your trip smooth and easy, with no unexpected surprises.