Preparing your trip to Delft: advices & hints - things to do and to obey
1. Tourists, who plan to make phone calls to other states, should use local telephones. They can be found near underground stations, close to major shopping malls and traffic stops. This method of communication will be the best and the cheapest one.
2. Voltage is 220 V here, so prior to trip we advise you to check the compatibility of electric shavers, hair dryers and other appliances that you plan to take with you.
3. Tips are usually included in the final bill of local restaurants and cafes, but you can please obliging waiters and hotel workers by adding 5 - 10% more to the total sum.
4. Many stores and shopping malls are closed on Sundays and Mondays. However, they work till late in the evening on Thursdays and Fridays.
6. Approximately once a month bulky and large items are allowed to be thrown in the city. On the evening prior to that day locals start bringing unwanted furniture, appliances and other unnecessary items to the streets. Many townspeople make a search trying to find the things they need. It is worth noting that attending such event is not considered shameful. Antiques collectors will surely find it very interesting as there are many old items among the things left by locals.
7. There are many centers of bike rental in the city. This two-wheeled transport is very popular here. There are special parking slots near all major shopping centers and government agencies. Bicycle paths run along all major routes, making travelling here even more enjoyable and simple.
Preparing your trip to Delft: advices & hints - things to do and to obey You can re-publish this content with mandatory attribution: direct and active hyperlink to www.orangesmile.com.
What to visit being in Delft - unique sights
MadurodamFrom the series “Famous miniature museums of architectural objects and cities”
Check on the map: Distance from Delft center - 12 km.Of particular interest are bushes and trees planted in the park, whose height is maintained by efforts of gardeners at a level of no more than 60 cm. The history of the park is incredibly interesting. The author of this project is a famous architect Side Yan Baum. The opening of the miniature park took place in 1952. Not everyone knows that it is a real monument to the victims of the war. … Read further
ErasmusbrugFrom the series “Unbelievable and magnificent bridges and viaducts”
Check on the map: Distance from Delft center - 13 km.The main feature of the bridge is the high fine support, whose outlines resemble the neck of the graceful swan. The height 'of the neck' is 139 meters. In the evening, the support is decorated with the impressive festive lighting. The longest drawbridge in the world has one more interesting feature - Erasmus Bridge is one of the finest and lightest bridges on earth. The bridge thickness is only two meters. … Read further
Lisse Tulip FieldsFrom the series “Top 13 most colorful and picturesque places on the planet”
Check on the map: Distance from Delft center - 31 km.The extensive plantations of tulips of different colors grow on the huge surface. For a few months of the year the beautiful flowers color the fields in all rainbow colors. The plantations look particularly beautiful from the bird's perspective. The tulips of different varieties form the specific geometric shapes on the earth and intertwine into a huge abstract drawing. … Read further
Photos of Delft
Travelling to Delft - advices and tips. What should be provisioned in advance, the rules you might want to follow, and the things you better avoid doing in Delft. We help you to make your trip smooth and easy, with no unexpected surprises.