Preparing your trip to Delft: advices & hints - things to do and to obey
1. Tourists, who plan to make phone calls to other states, should use local telephones. They can be found near underground stations, close to major shopping malls and traffic stops. This method of communication will be the best and the cheapest one.
2. Voltage is 220 V here, so prior to trip we advise you to check the compatibility of electric shavers, hair dryers and other appliances that you plan to take with you.
3. Tips are usually included in the final bill of local restaurants and cafes, but you can please obliging waiters and hotel workers by adding 5 - 10% more to the total sum.
4. Many stores and shopping malls are closed on Sundays and Mondays. However, they work till late in the evening on Thursdays and Fridays.
6. Approximately once a month bulky and large items are allowed to be thrown in the city. On the evening prior to that day locals start bringing unwanted furniture, appliances and other unnecessary items to the streets. Many townspeople make a search trying to find the things they need. It is worth noting that attending such event is not considered shameful. Antiques collectors will surely find it very interesting as there are many old items among the things left by locals.
7. There are many centers of bike rental in the city. This two-wheeled transport is very popular here. There are special parking slots near all major shopping centers and government agencies. Bicycle paths run along all major routes, making travelling here even more enjoyable and simple.
Preparing your trip to Delft: advices & hints - things to do and to obey You can re-publish this content with mandatory attribution: direct and active hyperlink to www.orangesmile.com.
What to visit being in Delft - unique sights
RotterdamFrom the series “Permanently Sinking Cities and Regions”
Check on the map: Distance from Delft center - 11.2 km.Even in the 16th century on the territory of the Netherlands the first windmills were built for dewatering the lands. However, the storms became harder and harder year by year. If the water will rise even for a meter, Hague, Brugger, Amsterdam and Rotterdam will be fully destroyed. Until the ocean level is relatively stable, specialists can cope with the problems. In the event of the global warming, the situation can be drastically changed. … Read further
MadurodamFrom the series “Famous Miniature Museums of Architectural Objects and Cities”
Check on the map: Distance from Delft center - 12 km.Madurodam received its name in honour of the famous student from Curacao George Maduro, who sacrificed his life in fight against the Nazi occupying forces. The initiators of the construction of the park were parents of the deceased student. For many years after the opening, all the proceeds of Madurodam were transferred to charitable purposes. The park of miniatures actively cooperates with various youth and charitable organizations nowadays. For tourists, Madurodam is a great opportunity to see the iconic sights of Holland in one place. The beautiful Royal Palace, the Mauritshuis Museum, the modern Schiphol Airport and the Rijksmuseum are just a few of the realistic mock-ups available for study. … Read further
City tours, excursions and tickets in Delft and surroundings
Photos of Delft
Travelling to Delft - advices and tips. What should be provisioned in advance, the rules you might want to follow, and the things you better avoid doing in Delft. We help you to make your trip smooth and easy, with no unexpected surprises.