Preparing your trip to Como: advices & hints - things to do and to obey
1. It’s recommended to exchange currency in the banks, as they offer the most favorable rate. However, it is worth considering that the working day in banks is quite short. They open at 9:00 am and run until 3:00 - 4:00 pm, and there can be a lunch break in the afternoon lasting at least one and a half hours.
2. The most common form of public transport is the bus; travel ticket has to be purchased in advance in a newspaper or tobacco shops. Upon entering the bus ticket must be punched. The ticket is valid 75 minutes after the first punch mark, during that time you can make any number of changes.
3. Please note that is impossible to flag a taxi on the street in a familiar way; this isn’t done here. The taxi is taken on a special parking or calling on the phone. In the taxi two types of rates exist: for day and for night.
4. You can rent a car at one of many rental agencies. An international driver's license and a credit card with the desired amount of deposit in the account would be necessary. The longer is the term of the lease, the lower the daily fee would be. Customers under 25 years are denied service.
6. Despite the fact that Como is very calm and quiet town, travelers must abide the basic rules of caution. Don’t take a lot of things while going for a walk. Cash will be useful only to those who hope to visit the local markets and small stores; in shopping malls you can pay with credit card.
7. In restaurants and cafes it is customary to leave a tip; generally it makes out at least 10% of the total order. You can also leave small cash reward for a maid at the hotel, taxi driver and doorman; 1 - 2 euros would be a sufficient tip.
City of Como restaurants range from exclusive ones from Michelin's list to tiny bistro. Amongst them is Il Solito Posto restaurant situated in 19th century historical building. Il Solito … Open
9. Smokers should pay particular attention to prohibiting signs and plaques. Smoking in public places and some restaurants may not be allowed, but there is a special area for smokers next to every public institution.
Preparing your trip to Como: advices & hints - things to do and to obey You can re-publish this content with mandatory attribution: direct and active hyperlink to www.orangesmile.com.
What to visit being in Como - unique sights
Sauna-TramFrom the series “Most Extraordinary Thermaes, Baths and Saunas in the World”
Check on the map: Distance from Como center - 38.8 km.Initially, the organizers wanted the sauna-tram to cruise the streets of the city, and its visitors could admire outstanding sights and the most beautiful streets of Milan. City authorities did not approve of such an initiative, and the sauna has been decided to be installed in one of the busiest districts of Milan, close to popular hotels and entertainment venues. … Read further
Church of Santa Maria delle GrazieFrom the series “Top 15 Unesco Sites in Europe”
Check on the map: Distance from Como center - 38.8 km.Over the past decades, the main church in Milan has remained a popular tourist attraction. The queue of those wishing to see the legendary frescoes doesn’t vanish, so it’s recommended to sign up for a tour several days in advance. Anyone who wishes to see the legendary fresco by Leonardo da Vinci, will have to undergo a special procedure. An outerwear has to be cleaned from the dirt using a dedicated gadget. Only after that, you can take a look at the amazing work of art. However, visitors can not admire it for more than 15 minutes. … Read further
Duomo di MilanoFrom the series “15 Unofficial Man-Made Wonders of the World”
Check on the map: Distance from Como center - 39.3 km.The cathedral is so great that it can accommodate up to 40 000 people. About 3 400 beautiful statues decorate a hall. The main symbol and the gem is the golden statue of Madonna, the patron saint of Milan. Paintings on walls and a ceiling of the cathedral require special attention. Some of them were created by the outstanding artist, Simone da Orsenigo. The roof of the cathedral has the great viewing platform that offers a spectacular view of the historic streets of Milan. … Read further
City tours, excursions and tickets in Como and surroundings
Photos of Como
Travelling to Como - advices and tips. What should be provisioned in advance, the rules you might want to follow, and the things you better avoid doing in Como. We help you to make your trip smooth and easy, with no unexpected surprises.