Preparing your trip to Chicago: advices & hints - things to do and to obey
1. Travelers arriving by plane are recommended not to take a taxi. The easiest way to reach the city center and other areas of interest is Skytrain; it would save you from wasting time in numerous traffic jams. In addition, travelling with subway is thriftier.
2. Seasoned travelers recommend visiting the city during the off-season. Summer in Chicago is always very hot, and in winter the temperature can drop to -30 C, and that can make the stay uncomfortable. Many tourists visit the city on Christmas Eve, when there is a holiday market and major sales begin.
3. The city has excellent public transport system. It has about 2,000 buses serving 140 different routes. You can travel by bus not only throughout the city, but to the surrounding area too.
4. Travelers visiting Chicago in the summer can use free tourist buses marked ‘Trolleys.’ Their route takes you through the most important attractions, including Lincoln Park, Navy Pier and the seafront of Michigan Avenue. Free buses run around the city from 10 am to 6 pm.
6. Water taxi that runs along the Chicago River would give an unforgettable experience. This unusual mode of transport has become a real local landmark; the cost of a trip is less than 6 USD.
7. Budget travelers have to notice that at least one day a week in all cultural institutions and museums is admission-free. You can clear a schedule of numerous museums and ticket prices at any tourist office or hotel.
Chicago is a major cultural center; it is a beautiful and prosperous city with rich traditions. Many travelers associate this modern metropolis with music. Chicago is annually visited by … Open
9. Foreign visitors are advised to refrain from self- exploring remote areas of the city. On the contrary, you can walk along main streets without fear even late in the evening, as they can be quite crowded even at the nighttime.
Preparing your trip to Chicago: advices & hints - things to do and to obey You can re-publish this content with mandatory attribution: direct and active hyperlink to www.orangesmile.com.
What to visit being in Chicago - unique sights
Cloud Gate MonumentFrom the series “The Most Unusual Statues and Monuments”
Check on the map: Distance from Chicago center - 0.1 km.One of the main particularities of sculpture is the great arc, one can go under and see one's own reflection in the mirror surface. Since the opening, the original monument has been incredibly popular with both city dwellers and Chicago guests. On the background of the huge mirror bean you can make very impressive photos. In good weather, the blue sky and the sun are mirrored on the outside very beautifully. … Read further
Buckingham FountainFrom the series “The Most Spectacular Fountains in the World”
Check on the map: Distance from Chicago center - 0.8 km.The multifunctional fountain, the diameter of whose main basin forms 84 meters, is decorated with the interesting seahorse sculptures. For the design of the well the rare pink marble was used. The structure of the fountain is very symbolic. Its main pool symbolizes Lake Michigan and four groups of seahorses - four lakes surrounding the lake. The total volume of the water, which is constantly in the fountain, is about 5 700 000 liters. In the well there are 134 nozzles, from which more than 65,000 liters of water are ejected every minute. In the evening the wonderful fountain is illuminated with 840 colorful lamps. … Read further
Photos of Chicago
Travelling to Chicago - advices and tips. What should be provisioned in advance, the rules you might want to follow, and the things you better avoid doing in Chicago. We help you to make your trip smooth and easy, with no unexpected surprises.