Preparing your trip to Catania: advices & hints - things to do and to obey
1. Don’t forget to take the national currency when you go shopping. Other currencies will be simply not accepted. You can exchange money in a bank or in other specialized exchange offices. As a rule, major supermarkets and shopping centers accept non-cash payments.
2. Catania is famous for its low prices for all kinds of goods. It is safe to say that the prices in local shops and markets are among the lowest in the country. Hotels and restaurants are also not distinguished by high rates for their services, so you can easily afford staying in a luxury hotel or go to dinner in the restaurant you like.
3. Experienced travelers are recommended to buy food in one of local markets. Markets are the best place to find fresh fish, vegetables and fruit. Moreover, buyers have an opportunity to get a good discount on various products. Almost all markets in Catania are open daily.
4. Tourists should not forget to monitor their belongings in crowded places very carefully. There might be pickpockets in markets, public transport and shopping centers. Therefore, when going out, tourists are recommended to take a minimum of valuable items.
6. Motorists should remember that traffic in the territory of some districts of the city may be significantly hindered. The majority of streets of the city are very narrow, so there are always heavy traffic jams in peak hours. Moreover, local drivers have never followed the traffic rules in all situations. This also can become a problem.
7. Do not forget to leave tips in local restaurants. As a rule, tips estimate 10% of the order. In respectful or luxurious restaurants tips can be included in the total. Maids at your hotel, taxi drivers and guides, as well as an ordinary passerby, who helps you or provides you with other service, should get a small reward.
9. The city is very convenient to travel on foot. This is a simple way to see all local sights and visit the most exciting entertainment facilities of the city.
Preparing your trip to Catania: advices & hints - things to do and to obey You can re-publish this content with mandatory attribution: direct and active hyperlink to www.orangesmile.com.
What to visit being in Catania - unique sights
EtnaFrom the series “The Most Active Volcanoes in the World”
Check on the map: Distance from Catania center - 28.7 km.Planters are attracted by fertile soil and favorable climate, ideal for growing grapes, olives and fruit. Unique black grapes used for several varieties of wine are grown on the slopes of Etna. According to experts, it’s distinguished by a unique taste and aroma. This Sicilian wine is largely popular mainly due to the unique volcanic soils. Every eruption of Etna is an incredibly interesting and attractive show for tourists; extreme sports fans are strongly recommended to walk along the slopes and watch the action of destructive element from afar. … Read further
Etna VolcanoFrom the series “Volcanoes and Traps That Changed the Face of the Planet”
Check on the map: Distance from Catania center - 29.1 km.Locals hurried back to the place of grace. Even now, they grow vineyards, olive trees, and orchards on the slopes of the volcano. The geological implications of the volcanic activity are enormous too. For hundreds of years, mountainsides were collapsing after each of the next series of explosions. So, new huge basins and craters appeared close to the volcano. Scientists believe that after one of the regular eruptions of Etna, the water took a large settlement of Atlit Yam in Israel. All of its residents fled from the disaster, but many of them died later. … Read further
Photos of Catania
Travelling to Catania - advices and tips. What should be provisioned in advance, the rules you might want to follow, and the things you better avoid doing in Catania. We help you to make your trip smooth and easy, with no unexpected surprises.