Preparing your trip to Bern: advices & hints - things to do and to obey
1. Many restaurants and shopping centers accept payments by credit cards of international standard, so you don’t have to take a lot of cash to the trip. If you need the local currency, it is better to exchange money in banks – as a rule, they offer the most favorable rate. Exchange offices usually charge a commission, which amount can be up to 5% of the total sum.
2. The majority of shops and trading centers work from 9:00 to 18:00 - 19:00 on weekdays. Saturday is usually a short working day, and Sunday is a day off. In large shopping centers you can usually find sellers that speak English, so finding common ground will be rather simple and you can expect to get help.
3. Swiss watches remains one of the most popular souvenirs that tourists usually prefer to purchase as souvenirs from the trip. The best way to purchase them is in specialized shops only. If you buy a watch on markets, there’s a risk that you will get a cheap fake at quite a high price.
4. Tourists are recommended to take special Global Refund Cheque receipts when they make purchases. While leaving the city, you will be able to use this receipt to receive a refund of the commission of 7.5% from the total sum of your purchases.
6. Motorists should not forget that the maximum speed in the territory of the city is 50 km/h. The speed limit on suburban highways can range from 80 to 120 km/h. In order to be able to drive on toll highways, you need to purchase a special Vignette ticket, which is always available when you rent a car.
7. The local people are very punctual, so even a small delay can be interpreted as a sign of disrespect. Do not forget to be in time for all meetings and events, whether it is a meeting with business partners or a dinner with close friends.
In Bern, you'll find an original Westside shopping center, where you can not only get quality new things but also have a great rest with all your family. The complex houses popular clothing … Open
9. As a rule, tips in local cafes and restaurants do not exceed 10 - 15% of total order sum. Taxi drivers should also get a small extra fee for their service. In this case the amount of the tip is approximately 10% of the cost of the ride.
Preparing your trip to Bern: advices & hints - things to do and to obey You can re-publish this content with mandatory attribution: direct and active hyperlink to www.orangesmile.com.
What to visit being in Bern - unique sights
NeuchatelFrom the series “Amazing Ancient Fortresses Preserved to This Day”
Check on the map: Distance from Bern center - 38.3 km.In the tower is presented the incredibly interesting exposition - the tiny models of Neuchâtel city. The museum visitors can see what the city looked like in the early Middle Ages, and how it was expanded until the 19th century. Despite the impressive age, the castle has preserved a lot of original elements, including the ancient frescos whose age is over 500 years. It is better to inquire about the time of the excursions. In the high season, they are often led more often. … Read further
Skeleton BarFrom the series “The Most Extraordinary Bars and Café on the Planet”
Check on the map: Distance from Bern center - 49.1 km.Visitors can seat near a huge wooden window or choose one of the small tables near the unusual round window. A lot of special banquets and ceremonies held in this bar every year. There you can try not only popular cocktails and elite sorts of alcohol but also a lot of house speciality. "Skeleton Bar" was opened in 1993 and since that time it is one of the most famous bars in the world. … Read further
Tibitis Landscape AdsFrom the series “Creative and Incredible Advertising Constructions”
Check on the map: Distance from Bern center - 53.1 km.In order to emphasize the idea of the advertising campaign, agency employees have attached the fork of common size to the tree branches. The original landscape advertising attracted the attention of the thousands of people and significantly increased the visibility of Tibits' vegetarian restaurants. The advertising campaign, which took place in Switzerland in 2009, is by no means the only one using the huge forks for installation. One of the well-known seafood restaurants has pushed the huge forks into the sea to emphasize the freshness of the food. … Read further
Photos of Bern
Travelling to Bern - advices and tips. What should be provisioned in advance, the rules you might want to follow, and the things you better avoid doing in Bern. We help you to make your trip smooth and easy, with no unexpected surprises.