Preparing your trip to Basel: advices & hints - things to do and to obey
1. The city is full of numerous banks and exchange offices, which offer really favorable exchange rates. Therefore taking much cash with you is absolutely not necessary.
2. Rates in local restaurants and cafes are quite high, so if you expect to save on food, it is recommended to have food in numerous bistros and eateries that can be found throughout the city. You can also easily find excellent gastronomy shops which sell fresh salads and pastries close to major shopping and entertainment centers of Basel.
3. When you visit various excursions together with other tourists in a group, you are eligible for a discount, so the best place to explore the sights of the city is in a company of other travelers. Students and pensioners are also eligible for a discount.
4. If you plan to make a long walk, you are recommended to take a raincoat or an umbrella with you. Weather in Basel is quite variable, so a small rain can start even on a hot sunny day.
6. In some economy-class hotels old sockets have not yet been replaced by the standard European wall outlets, so modern gadgets and appliances may require special adapters.
7. Basel is distinguished by a convenient public transport system. Tickets for buses and trams can be bought in special vending machines that can be found next to each traffic stop. You should keep in mind that these machines do not accept paper money and do not give change, so taking more coins in small denominations with you is a good idea.
There are so many interesting places in Basel that are worth visiting with children. One of the main children's attractions of the city is the Basel Zoo. This is the real tropics in the … Open
9. You can make payments with credit cards of international standard in all major shopping centers, restaurants and hotels of the city.
10. The majority of shops are open from 9:00 to 18:30 on weekdays. Saturday and Sunday are considered short working days, so shopping centers may be closed at 16:00.
11. You should not forget to leave tips in the local restaurants and cafes. As a rule, the size of tips estimates about 10% of the total bill. In many fast-food eateries, cooking and bistro you can order food that can be taken away.
Preparing your trip to Basel: advices & hints - things to do and to obey You can re-publish this content with mandatory attribution: direct and active hyperlink to www.orangesmile.com.
What to visit being in Basel - unique sights
Schloss HallwylFrom the series “Impressive Castles and Palaces Located on Water”
Check on the map: Distance from Basel center - 52.3 km.Many of the buildings and rooms of the castle were modernized, but some still retain the historic atmosphere. The original round tower, on whose summit one can ascend on the steep spiral staircase, remains equally unchanging. Next to the tower is the ancient house, where the interiors of the previous centuries have been preserved. Tourists who want to see the historical sights in detail should take into consideration that the Hallwyl Castle is open for the visit only in the period from April to October. … Read further
ColmarFrom the series “Nooks and Villages That Are More Colorful Than Top Touristic Destinations”
Check on the map: Distance from Basel center - 60.8 km.Besides exploring the lovely old streets, tourists can diversify their leisure with visits to museums, theaters, and concert halls. The world famous museum of sacred art, Unterlinden, is situated there. The area of the charming town of only 66.5 square km, and the population is about 67 000 people. The first mention of the town dates back to the 9th century. Since its inception, the place had great strategic importance. … Read further
City tours, excursions and tickets in Basel and surroundings
Photos of Basel
Travelling to Basel - advices and tips. What should be provisioned in advance, the rules you might want to follow, and the things you better avoid doing in Basel. We help you to make your trip smooth and easy, with no unexpected surprises.