Architecture of Austria. Must see and must visit landmarks
Ambras Castle, Innsbruck
» There used to be a medieval fortress on the site. Italian architects had to turn the citadel into a palace.
» The archduke was keen on collecting unusual artifacts. The bottom level of the building has a collection of old weapons, printed publications, and manuscripts. The sculptural compositions of horsemen and horses are of interest. All riders are dressed in combat gear.
» One of the halls exhibits 200 portraits of the Habsburg dynasty representatives painted by famous artists.
» The Chamber of Art and Wonders is sort of an exhibition of images depicting unusual characters, for example, the sketches of Vlad Dracula. The Death figurine is made of real bone.
» The monarch fulfilled his idea of a specific location of objects. The area dedicated to art has lots of caskets, statuettes, bronze items, and crafts from shrubs with openwork carving. The items of the same structure (wood, metal, silver) are placed side by side. A colour background is chosen for each of them: gold glitters against blue; wooden items are located against red; stones look better against green.
» According to the remaining belief, the founder of the community saw a heavenly angel. It was dressed in a snow-white robe when the woman saw it.
» The exterior is abundantly painted with coloured frescoes picturing God’s messengers in colourful clothes and the elders holding precious bowls and scrolls in their hands. The wall paintings depict the scenes from the biblical life of saints. The composition is crowned with a deep-blue rose.
» The cathedral is easily recognizable due to its religious facade design.
» The church has a bell tower.
» It’s calm and peaceful in the cosy hall. The place is suitable for spiritual purification and confession.
» The Church of Eternal Worship belongs to Catholicism, the religion with more than 1,000 years of history. It was formed in the monasteries of Europe in the 9th century.
» The custom of eternal worship is based on the fact that bread and wine are sanctified during the Christian rite and symbolize the body and blood of the Lord. Thanks to communion, the Orthodox reunite with God.
Anif Palace, Salzburg
» Bishops had lived in the castle until 1803. Then, the castle came to Count Stepperg who had rebuilt the building for 10 years until 1848.
» Then, the palace belonged to the niece of the count, Sophie de Sons. Halls of the palace have a luxurious interior. The walls are decorated with frescoes of Grünwedel. The Bayern sculptor Ludwig Michael von Schwanthaler made the sculpture “Nymph of the Rhine”.
» During the war, the Wehrmacht units were accommodated here, followed by American ones.
» Nowadays, the castle still belongs to heirs of the de Sons and is in private ownership. However, you can walk and admire landscapes in the part around the castle. In the territory of the park, several films were shot: “The Great Race”, “The Sound of Music”, “Cinderella”, etc.
» In 2001, owners of the castle decided to sell some pieces of antique furniture at the Sotheby's auction in Amsterdam. Some pieces were returned to Salzburg and presented in the Museum Carolino-Augusteum.
Austrian Parliament, Vienna
» Various important state ceremonies, such as the ceremony of taking the oath by the President of Austria, and the official speech at the annual National Day on October 26th, take place there.
» The Parliament House covers an area of more than 13,500 square meters and has more than 100 rooms, including meeting rooms, sports rooms, lounges, bars, and library.
» The most famous landmark of the building is the sculpture of Pallas Athena with a fountain located at the main entrance.
» The Austrian Parliament is open for tourists.
Basilika Wilten, Innsbruck
» Centuries later, a new building with twin towers was constructed. The belfries were built on both sides of the main building. They have a distinctive feature – carved tops and high spires. An inscription dedicated to Benedict XVI, the Bishop of the Roman Catholic Church, is engraved above the central portal.
» The building is distinct in multiple stucco decorations and architectural ledges. Many details are gilded. The ceiling is covered with biblical frescoes. The organ has 24 registers. The altar elevation is dotted with intricate curls. The altar is surrounded by 4 columns. It is topped by a wreath-shaped dome symbolizing the glory to the Mother of God.
» Under the tent, there is a sculpture of the Virgin Mary dating from the 14th century. The figure is made of sandstone. Thousands of pilgrims come here to bow to the holy object. The palette of colours is subdued. Pastel shades prevail. The yellow cloister with white ornament looks gorgeous against the backdrop of an alpine hill.
» Wilten Basilica is a functioning parish church.
» The palace was built by Lucas von Hildebrandt as the summer residence for one of the greatest generals of that time, Prince Eugene of Savoy, in the early 18th century.
» The palace complex is notable for its gallery, which is the most famous art museum in Vienna.
» The gallery has the impressive collection of Austrian art from the Middle Ages to the present day.
» The museum has the world's largest collection of works by Austrian artist Gustav Klimt.
» Premiers of Mozart’s operas, The Abduction from the Seraglio, The Marriage of Figaro and Cosi took place there.
» The theater scene is almost 700 m2.
» Burgtheater troupe consists of more than 100 actors and is one of the biggest in Europe.
» The majestic facade of the theater made it one of the most popular tourist attractions in Vienna.
Capuchin Church, Vienna
» The Capuchin Church is famous for its Imperial Crypt that is the resting place of Habsburg emperors and members of their families.
» Twelve emperors, nineteen empresses and many other members of Habsburgs (137 people) are buried in the crypt.
» Last burial in the tomb was in 2011, when the last crown prince of Habsburg, Otto von Habsburg, lost his life.
Cathedral of Saint James, Innsbruck
» There’s a tomb of Maximilian III, an archduke from the Austrian dynasty (1620). There is an organ in the room. Its shining tubes stand out against a dark blue background. The organ is dressed in a wooden case. Columns rise in the hall. They are made of pink marble. The walls are covered with frescoes.
» The cathedral was constructed between 1717 and 1724. There is evidence that there used to be a 12th-century church on this site. Pilgrims found shelter in it.
» The earthquake of 1689 destroyed the building. Thirty years later, it was restored.
» Another major reconstruction took place in the 1960s. The building was seriously damaged during the Second World War artillery strike.
» The facade is decorated with arch-shaped window openings.
» The church has two bell towers. One has a working clockwork. The watch is over 300 years old. The other one has 48 bells. They ring at noon glorifying the world.
Church of St. Leopold, Vienna
» The church is dedicated to the patron of Austria, St. Leopold.
» Interior was created keeping in mind that most of parishioners were psychiatric patients. All corners inside the church are rounded, and the altar is separated from the main hall.
» The temple provides separate access for men and women; it has special service outlets for medical evacuations.
» The ceiling under the main dome of the church is adorned with symbols of the four evangelists, and stained-glass windows are decorated with images of saints.
» The height of the tower is 252 m; that’s a popular tourist attraction in Vienna. The Tower is the tallest building in the capital and the second tallest in Austria.
» The Donauturm has an observation deck that is located at an altitude of 150 m. Two elevators lifting visitors upstairs for 35 seconds help to get to the observation desk.
» There are 2 restaurants, at an altitude of 160 and 170 meters.
» The lookout tower has bungee jumping station. Jumping is carried out only in summer.
» The hangar building is located on the territory of the airport. It’s constructed from curved metal structures covered with a huge glass dome. 1,200 tons of steel and 6,970 square metres of glass were used during its construction.
» The modern building was built by Dietrich Mateschitz, the founder of Red Bull GmbH, Austria’s most successful company.
» Although the company’s main profit came from the sale of energy drinks, in the 90s, it began to invest actively in sports – the Red Bull Salzburg football and ice hockey clubs. It also actively sponsors car racing and air shows. Hangar-7 has 25 historic airplanes and Formula 1 racing cars on display.
» There’s also the Ikarus restaurant well known outside Salzburg located under a glass dome in the building. To get inside, you need to go along a suspension path spiralling up along the glass walls. Famous chefs from all over the world come here by invitation every month to please the museum visitors with their own dishes.
Hellbrunn Palace, Salzburg
» Besides the castle, the Monatsschlössl Hunting House, the stone outdoor theatre carved in a rock cleft, and the Mechanical Theatre, where 265 statues of people of different professions are set in motion by the water, were built.
» There is also a park with ponds, fountains, statues, and figurines of animals. Its total area is 60 hectares. Water entertainments are available due to the water of natural streams running down from the mountain. There are no such constructions in the world.
» The palace and the park has survived to this day. Here, festivals, celebrations, international conferences, and seminars are held.
» In 1961, a zoo was opened in the palace. It is very popular with tourists.
» The construction of the monastery had been planned to begin at the end of the 18th century. But the military events of 1812 and difficulties with financing slowed it down.
» Another hundred years passed, and the construction finally began.
» The interior is filled with luxury. There are a lot of gilding and velvet finishing. The wall panels and dome are decorated with art paintings. Sparkling lamps in the form of candlesticks create the illusion of antiquity. The stained glass has a painting from the saints’ life.
» The house of God is daily open for worship, and there’s time reserved for confessions.
This article about architectural landmarks and sights of Austria is protected by the copyright law. You can re-use the content, but only under the condition of placement of an active link to www.orangesmile.com.