15. Special attention should be paid to technical characteristics of the car. Because of some damage it can be considered broken and not possible to use. Broken headlights and windscreen wiper from the driver’s side are among such problems. It is also recommended to have a set of spare bulbs.
16. There are specific requirements concerning windows tinting. According to current regulations, the windscreen light transmission must be at least 75%, and for front side windows light transmission must be not less than 70%.
17. The car must be equipped with a first aid kit and a warning triangle. The presence of a fire extinguisher is also obligatory. Furthermore, it should be kept in the car, not in the trunk.
18. The number of passengers in the vehicle must strictly correspond to the number of seats. This rule is also strictly monitored. The minimum fine for violation of the rule is 170 hryvnia.
When choosing a car for your Ukraine trip, don’t forget to check and compare the franchise amount (indicated in the rental conditions) for all cars considered in your selection. The franchise may vary from 200 to 2000 euro/dollars even for cars of the same class. A thorough comparison will allow you to choose the option with the lowest franchise.
During your booking, we will offer you to take a full coverage of the franchise ('No Risk' or 'No Excess' package). If you book a car without full coverage, it is recommended to take it at the pick-up time - this will substantially reduce your financial liability in Ukraine for the whole rental period.
During your car pick-up in Ukraine, do not forget to check what to do in breakdown-, accident- or theft-cases. Most of our offers include 'Breakdown Assistance' package. Besides this, every rental office would be happy to assist you with this package.
Prior to the car return, please check your voucher for the fuel conditions. If it is indicated that a driver shall return the car with a full tank, do not forget to refuel it on the way back, this will save you from additional charges at the rental office.
If you are looking for a car hire in Ukraine, we advise you to check OrangeSmile.com actual rental offers. Just use the orange search form at the top. We guarantee that you would not be able to find better rates anywhere else!
Ukrainian traffic regulations also have an interesting definition of the term “lane”. According to them, each longitudinal strip of the road, the width of which is not less than 2.75 meters, can be considered a lane. In case there are no road markings that define the number of lanes, it becomes almost impossible to do that “by eye”.
20. Many traffic regulations that are valid in Ukraine will be familiar to drivers from other countries. For example, while driving, the driver is forbidden to use any gadgets, in particular the cell phone.
21. Local drivers are very attentive to pedestrians. Do not forget to give way to them at unregulated crossroads. Even if there are no people close to the crossroads, it is still necessary to slow down.
22. Motorists must accompany all the maneuvers with respective light signals. The signal must be made beforehand - at least 50 meters before the place of the maneuver in the city and 150 - 200 meters before the place of the maneuver on country roads.
23. In case of a sudden breakdown, the driver should put a warning triangle. In settlements, the warning triangle must be installed at least 20 meters away from the vehicle, and in the country – at least 40 meters away from it. Many local drivers use red flashing light instead of the emergency stop sign.
While driving, you should stay as close as possible to the right edge of the road. The left lane can be occupied for maneuver and overtaking purposes only. The observance of this rule is also strictly monitored. At the same time, driving on the curb is not prohibited in Ukraine, and local drivers often use that in traffic jams.
25. It is allowed to park cars for free along some streets. You will also find it simple to find a paid parking lot. When leaving the vehicle on the edge of the pavement, you need to make sure that at least 2 meters of the road remain free. Otherwise, your way of parking will be wrong, and you are likely to get a large fine.
26. Public transport has a number of advantages on the roads of Ukraine. Drivers should be particularly attentive on the roads with tram lanes. If the tram has stopped to load or unload passengers, motorists also have to stop. They can start moving again only after the tram has closed the door.
27. In Ukraine, it is allowed to make a right turn at a red light on certain intersections. All these intersections have a green arrow pointing to the right. Here we should mention one of the most controversial situations connected with the rule. The reason is the yellow traffic signal is also considered a prohibiting one, so it is not possible to pass the intersection if the traffic light signal is yellow, but many local drivers ignore this nuance.