42. If you want to pay for using the local roads in cash, it is worth considering that operators give change in the national currency only. Even if you pay a road fee in euro, the change will still be given in kronor.
43. In the night time, it is possible to leave cars on some street parking free of charge. It is important to pay attention to the special signs near parking areas – your car must not prevent street cleaning.
44. Stockholm suburbs are equipped with more than 20 Park & Ride type parking lots. It should be noted that reaching such parking lots by public transport is absolutely not difficult. Drivers, who expect to park their vehicles for a night, should pay a particular attention to such parking lots.
45. When driving on a highway, the speed limit may change in different parts of the road. Therefore, drivers should pay attention to road signs. There are several parts of roads, where it is possible to drive at the speed of 120 km/h.
46. The high-speed road sections are the following: Norr Uppsala - Mehedeby (E4, the length is 65 km), Norr Gränna - Linköping (E4, 85 km), Strömsnäsbruk - Söder Örkelljunga (E4, 40 km), Båstad - Heberg (E6 , the length of the section is 54 km), Heberg - Söder Värö-Backa (E6, the length estimates 103 km), Väster - Enköping (E18, the length is 29 km) and Väster Mariefred - Eskilstuna (E20, the length of the section is 44 km).
47. In addition to the standard set of documents, it is recommended to have a first aid kit, a warning triangle, a tow rope, a fire extinguisher, and a reflective vest in the vehicle.
If you need a car with an automatic transmission, it is recommended to book it in advance. Cars with automatic transmissions are often sparse in Sweden, so the rental confirmation may take a longer period.
When selecting a specific model for traveling throughout Sweden, we recommend to take into consideration some practical apects. If you are going to drive mostly in the cities, then a car of a small size is preferable, while for long distance trips (and trips in the mountains) we recommend to choose a larger and more powerful car.
Prior your car retrun, please clean the salon from a garbage, and do not forget to take away all your belongings from the passenger compartment.
At the car return time, please ask the officer to make a visual inspection of the vehicle for defects and to sign the acceptance report. Keep the invoice and the acceptance report for next few months.
For a car rental options in Sweden, we advise you to check OrangeSmile.com actual offers in the orange search form at the top. We guarantee that you would not be able to find better rates anywhere else!
It is forbidden to install radar detectors in cars. Violators of this rule will have to pay the fine of 200 euros. The use of the prohibited device can also result in the imprisonment of up to 6 months. The violation also includes a mandatory confiscation of the device.
49. You may see long arrows added to some roads. Contrary to a popular belief, these arrows do not indicate the direction of movement. The arrows indicate the distance that drivers should follow while driving.
50. Drivers can learn a lot of useful information in police stations and national automobile clubs. For example, police departments usually have special free maps that indicate all parking areas in the city.
51. It is not difficult to navigate on local roads as there are many various road signs and roads along roads. If you know at least the approximate direction, missing the right turn is almost impossible - the sign that indicates it may appear a mile or two before the actual turn.
52. Drivers, who are used to breaking the speed limit, should not expect that their violation will be missed. Even if the excess of the driving speed will be just 1 km/h, the driver will have to pay a large fine.
53. The speed control is usually carried out with the help of cameras, the presence of which is usually marked with appropriate signs along roads. As a rule, these signs are placed approximately one mile before the actual location of the camera.
54. The drivers, who are used to riding in heavy traffic, may consider local roads quite deserted. The reason is local residents do not use private cars frequently. In Sweden, it is really rare to find a family that has more than two cars.
55. Steady narrowing up to one lane is a typical feature of federal roads. As a rule, these road segments have the length of no more than two miles, and then there is a gradual narrowing of the opposite lane.
There is always a large number of various facilities that may be of interest to travellers near central routes of the country. In addition to petrol stations that work round the clock visitors will find there technical support centers, attractive restaurants and cafes, and even small hotels that are perfect for tired travellers.
57. There are many comfortable service areas along central roads. They are also the place, where one can stay for a night. As a rule, service areas necessarily have free parking, shower and toilet, a small shop, and a special relaxation area with tables and benches. Of course, these service areas are equipped with special outlets for charging electronic devices.
58. You may also see huge banner advertisements along roads. Many of them look like true works of art. Local drivers have already become accustomed to these unusual banners, while foreign motorists are traditionally attracted by their unusual design.
59. Regardless of the road type, all the roads in Sweden are distinguished by asphalt of the highest quality. Add here discipline and politeness of local drivers, and it will be clearly understandable why riding on such roads is a true pleasure.
60. We simply cannot fail to mention careful and respectful attitude of local people to old cars. Retro cars draw a lot more attention and interest of motorists than ultramodern vehicles. The number of old cars on the roads of the country is large enough, and their owners treat them with great awe, so these cars look simply stunning.
61. Car drivers, who want to make rides to scenic areas of the country, are recommended to choose the road that leads to the resort village of Smogen. They are also recommended to pay attention to the roads, located in the central part of the country. They are laid on very beautiful places with wonderful nature. Moreover, these roads are among the most desolate roads of the country, so nothing will prevent you from enjoying the splendor of the local environment.