Parks of Seville.
Seville is famous for its parks and gardens that are often made in Arabic style. These are true oases of tranquility in the daily noise of a big city. The most famous parks of the city are Maria Luisa Park (Parque de María Luisa) that was laid out for the opening of the Spanish-American Exhibition in 1929. The park was a part of the San Telmo Palace Complex, and later it was presented as a gift to the city from Princess Marie-Louise. The park was laid out once again by a Frenchman Forestier before the opening of the exhibition. Maria Luisa Park occupies an area of 400,000 sq. m. and is known as the largest green area in Seville. There is a remote place in the park near the river. This is the place where a small pink-yellow building usually catches eyes of tourists. This is de Costurero de la Reina , where Queen Maria de las Mercedes, who had a weak health, loved to do some needlework in a complete solitude. Now the building is occupied by a tourist office.
The oldest park of Seville, Delicias de Arjona, is located between Maria Luisa Park and the Guadalquivir River. It was opened to the public in the beginning of the XIX century. The other bank of the river is the location of Parque de los Principes that was laid out in 1973. El Prado de San Sebastian Park is even younger. It is situated in one of the last undeveloped areas of Seville. The park is mostly occupied by numerous palm trees that are reflected in numerous ponds of the park. Jardines de Murillo Gardens are located near the Alcazar Palace . The gardens were named in honor of artist Bartolomeo Esteban Murillo. The park is made in a typical Seville style - palm trees, arcades, a sea of flowers and numerous sculptures by local artists.