24. By default, the extreme right lane is intended for public transport, but this rule is widely neglected by ordinary motorists and bus drivers. The extreme left lane is usually reserved for special service vehicles, and it may be used only for overtaking purposes, but this rule is also neglected by many vehicles.
25. In some cities, public transport routes can be arranged in quite a strange way, so you shouldn’t be surprised if the tram lines are located in the center of the road. In order to unload passengers, the tram is forced to stay right in the middle of the road. According to the current regulations, all cars moving after it also have to stop.
26. Drivers must always carry the driving license, the vehicle certificate, and the insurance. These documents must be shown to the police at first request. Police checks happen quite frequently, and absolutely every car can be stopped. If a police officer offers to take the blood alcohol content test, you certainly cannot refuse. If you do, you will be brought to the police station.
If you need a car with an automatic transmission, it is recommended to book it in advance. Cars with automatic transmissions are often sparse in Russia, so the rental confirmation may take a longer period.
When selecting a specific model for traveling throughout Russia, we recommend to take into consideration some practical apects. If you are going to drive mostly in the cities, then a car of a small size is preferable, while for long distance trips (and trips in the mountains) we recommend to choose a larger and more powerful car.
Prior your car retrun, please clean the salon from a garbage, and do not forget to take away all your belongings from the passenger compartment.
At the car return time, please ask the officer to make a visual inspection of the vehicle for defects and to sign the acceptance report. Keep the invoice and the acceptance report for next few months.
For a car rental options in Russia, we advise you to check OrangeSmile.com actual offers in the orange search form at the top. We guarantee that you would not be able to find better rates anywhere else!
According to the recently adopted law, the maximum allowed blood alcohol content for drivers is 0.0 ppm. In other words, motorists are not allowed to drink alcohol at all. The violation of this rule will certainly lead to a severe punishment – in addition to a large fine your driving license will be suspended for 1.5 - 2 years.
28. While driving, you need to pay attention to road signs that indicate the maximum permitted speed. As a rule, the maximum permitted speed in the city is 60 km/h, and in some residential areas the speed limit is just 20 km/h.
29. On country roads, the permitted speed ranges from 90 to 110 km/h, depending on the specific type of the road. As it has been noted above, not all roads will delight motorists with good quality, so driving on them at high speed is quite dangerous.
30. Drivers should use lower beams regardless of the time of day. It is possible to use high beams only on in the country, and on poorly lit roads. The use of fog lights is allowed only in bad weather conditions.
Despite the fact that exceeding the established speed limit will result in fines, and each year more radar appear on the road, speeding still remains one of the most common traffic violations. Many drivers may consider speeding fines rather modest. For example, if you exceed the allowed speed by 60 km/h, then the fine will be 5,000 rubles, and a temporary violation of the driving license can be imposed as an additional punishment.
32. When driving on a highway, you should not forget about the minimum allowed speed limit of 40 km/h. On the highway, it is allowed to stop to have some rest in specially designated areas only. These recreation areas are often combined with petrol stations.
33. Motorists, who plan to make a journey with children under 12 years old, will need to check the car equipment. Children can be transported only in the back seat, and only in case the car is equipped with special safety belt systems that meet the height and weight of the child.
34. Despite the fact that there are no specific requirements about summer and winter tires, during the cold season motorists are required to equip their cars properly. In winter, many roads are very slippery, and they are not always cleaned in time.