1. Thanks to high quality roads, Austria has become a popular destination with fans of auto tourism. Drivers will be surely pleased with the driving culture in the country - local drivers are well aware of the traffic rules and try not to break them.
2. However, you should keep in mind that Austrian drivers do not like too slow and indecisive drivers. If you stop at a crossroads or traffic lights only for a few seconds, thinking where to drive, you will certainly hear other drivers honking.
3. In Austria, drivers with the EU driving license can drive without any restrictions. All other drivers must supplement their driving licenses with the international driver's permit. Without this document your driving license is void.
To save on your rental, we advise to book your car in advance. You will save the most if you do this several weeks or even several months prior to your trip. Rental offices in Austria usually raise rental prices over time, based on the number of cars left available for the accounting period.
When looking for an exotic car (cabriolet, minivan or limousine), we advise to check in the rental offices located at airports, as they usually provide much wider choice comparing to offices in urban areas.
Upon receipt of invoices, bills and documents for your car at the rental location, please compare the obtained data with your voucher. Quite often, employees of rental offices in Austria try to add optional charges or services without informing customers.
It is very important to pick up your car at the rental office in Austria in a correct way. Prior to leaving the office, carefully inspect the car for various defects, and ensure that all the discovered defects are mentioned in your rental documents. In case of a non-compliance found, place a demand for correction to the rental officer.
You can always check our car actual rental offers in Austria. Simply use the search form at the top of the page. We guarantee that you will not find better prices anywhere else!
You will need to pay to use motorways and highways. In order to be able to use toll roads, you must purchase a vignette, the cost of which depends on its duration.
5. The vignette must be put in a clearly visible place under the windshield. It can be purchased literally at any petrol station or post office. The sticker that is valid during 10 days costs approximately 8 euro.
6. You will also need to pay to use some mountain roads. Here is the list of toll roads in the mountains: Felbertauern-Tunnel, Tauern-Autobahn, Arlberg-Tunnel-Strasse, Brenner - Autobahn and Karawanken - Tunnel. The toll depends on the type of the vehicle and usually ranges from 6.6 to 10.5 euro.
7. In winter, many mountain roads are closed, so the route must be clarified in advance. Drivers, who plan to travel on mountain roads in winter, will certainly need to equip their vehicles with snow chains (you will see special road signs that permit the use of snow chains).
8. Many sections of mountain roads are quite narrow and there is space for only one car. If there is a car moving in the opposite direction, and the road has enough space only for one car, motorists need to drive back until there is a suitable place where cars can pass each other. There are no specific rules that clarify what car should give way. The car that is able to move backwards conveniently must do the maneuver.
While driving, drivers are not allowed to talk on a cell phone. It is only possible to use the gadget if your phone is equipped with the «hands free» device.
10. There are also strict rules regarding the use of seat belts. If the car is moving, the driver and all passengers in the vehicle must fasten seat belts. Passengers sitting in the back seat should not forget about this rule as well.
11. Children under 12 years with the height of less than 150 cm can be transported only in a special child seat. It is important to check that the seat is fully consistent with the child's weight and height.
12. Railroad crossing is considered a zone of higher danger, so it is forbidden to overtake closer than 80 meters to the railroad crossing. If you fail to follow this rule, the fine for this violation will be 70 euro and more.