First mentions of this city date back to the 2nd century, when the Romans have created a fortified settlement Levkaristos on the place of the modern Trencin. In the beginning of the 11th century a fortress was built on the territory of the settlement. The owner of this place was a feudal lord Slovak Matos Chuck Trenсin. The city got its name thanks to this fortress, which has been used as the main military base in Slovakia for many years. In the 15th century Trencin received the status of a free royal city. It was officially added to the country's territory only three centuries later.
A strong fire and war destroyed the majority of the city’s historical monuments. However, a few of them have survived, and today thousands of travelers come to Trencin to admire its beauty. In the center of city lies Mierove nam Square. In 1712 here was installed a monument named Plague Column. This monument is the reminder of the tragic events of the early 18th century, when hundreds of the city’s inhabitants have died from plague. A small alley starts in the western part of the park. The alley will bring you to one of its landmarks - the city gates. These gates are the symbol of the old city. They were built in 1534.
This article about Trencin is written by the orangesmile.com editorial team and is protected by the copyright law. The article can only be re-used with a direct link to www.orangesmile.com