The history of Luxembourg Cathedral dates back to the beginning of the XVII century. At that time the cathedral was the Collegiate Church of the Jesuits. Later, Jesuit church became the parish Church of St. Nicholas, and later – the Church of Saint Teresa. In 1870, Luxembourg was turned into a bishopric. Because of this the cathedral became Cathédrale Notre-Dame-de-Luxembourg. In the first half of the XX century the cathedral was expanded. A new choir and a transept appeared here among other things. The cathedral is mostly famous for its crypt, where members of noble families of the duchy are buried. You will also see a monument dedicated to Duke John the Blind nearby.
Fort van Thüngen is another famous attraction of Luxembourg. This is a famous protective facility located in Dräi Eechelen Park . The complex, which was built in 1732, has been rebuilt and expanded for centuries. The fortification was named in honor of Baron van Thungen, a former commandant of the fort. Currently, only a stone foundation and towers have remained from the original building. These towers are known as the "three acorns" because of their shape. The territory of the fort is the location of two museums - le Musée d'Art Moderne Grand-Duc Jean and Musée de la Forteresse.
This article about Luxembourg is written by the orangesmile.com editorial team and is protected by the copyright law. The article can only be re-used with a direct link to www.orangesmile.com