The Onofrio Fountain.
To the right from the Pile Gate at a small square takes place the Big Onofrio Fountain. It was built in 1438 by Neapolitan architect Onofrio de la Kavi, who also projected the city waterworks. The fountain is one of the most well-known monuments in the city. Primordially it was decorated with the sculpture that, unfortunately, was ruined during the earthquake of 1667. Only 16 stone masks left, through which the water runs.
The first building to the left from Placa is The St Savior Church. Not far from it you'll see the world-famous Franciscan Monastery, which was built in 1317-1417. After the earthquake of 1667 they had to make a total reconstruction of the monastery. The only detail that left untouched was the south door, decorated in the Venetian gothic style. Just over the entrance the sculpture 'Madonna Pieta' by Ivan Meshtrovich is located.
: guide to Dubrovnik with maps, photos and weather conditions
This article about Dubrovnik is copyrighted by the our editorial team, & can only be reused with a link to www.orangesmile.com